Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't understand why some GPs (certainly at my practice) have essentially shut down access. The phones are not answered and you can't book appointments for any treatment unless it is weeks in advance. They don't open at weekends. They don't provide online bookings let alone home visits. Yet they are apparently prioritising jabs for patients to protect them from a virus which has an incredibly low death rate instead of helping sufferers from more serious illnesses (cancer, heart disease etc) who have been sidelined. Am I missing something here?
Can't fault my GP. He went above and beyond during the first lockdown.

To get around the closure of surgeries he put a tent up outside the back of the surgery and was seeing patients in there.

New Zealand back below 100 cases per day.

I don’t understand people trying to generalise all GPS behaviour. How people respond to crisis varies. FWIW, I was given my Covid booster by a local GP who was in great spirits and good at putting people at ease.

It is clear that some posters have received an unsatisfactory service from their GPs who have gone too far in restricting access. There will be a lot more GPS who will be following the policy direction of having more phone and video appointments, whilst seeing people who really need face to face appointments. FWIW, I was helping with telehealth / telecare projects nearly a decade a go and one of the drivers was to increase access to help for people who struggled with mobility.

I'm not 100% sure myself.

I think it should be pronounced o-mick-ron with the first o pronounced like the o in box.

A lot of people pronounce the first o as in boat, but that is the sound used for the letter omega.

On the other hand it doesn't really matter unless you're Greek.

Oh-me-cron

The fear with omicron is that the mutations in the spike protein will lead to vaccine evasion (and increased transmission).

What if the Chinese CoronaVac vaccine remains effective? It is a whole virus inactivated vaccine and should be less effected by changes in the spike protein.

Its rgearded as a very effective vaccine. For example, in Chile 75% of their vaccinations have been completed with CoronaVac. I am wondering how this performs against Omicron.

In the media they talk about vaccine evasion due to spike mutation but they forget that there are whole virus vaccines too. The South Africans must have thought about this option. So must the manufacturers of Coronavac. The UK and Europe have their own whole virus inactivated vaccines (Valneva) but I don't think it was as effective in trials.

You would think there would be some discussion about this, and some questions asked. But no.

This is the South African professor who initially warned about the number of people presenting at her hospital. She’s clearly concerned about the number of young people now presenting. Going to be a long week until more data is available.

This is the South African professor who initially warned about the number of people presenting at her hospital. She’s clearly concerned about the number of young people now presenting. Going to be a long week until more data is available.

To be fair we've had at least 3 occasions where someone's released incomplete/misleading data to suggest children/younger people are being admitted in their droves. I'd be very surprised if this variant effects younger people much different to the previous ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.