FA Cup 3rd Round | Swindon (A)

never been 100% sure but i think City v Swindon in '89 was my first City game

My mate's family were originally from Oxford and apparently it used to get 'proper naughty' between them and Swindon, particularly in the 70's

My mate's family were originally from Oxford and apparently it used to get 'proper naughty' between them and Swindon, particularly in the 70's
Swindon and Portsmouth was tasty too. I knew someone who always went singing you'll never take the town end and running for the exits when the pompey fans ran from the open end the full length of the pitch to occupy the now vacant stand

In regards to tv

BBC

18 Live matches per season with second and third picks of matches in the Second Round, Fourth Round and the Quarter Finals, as well as first and fourth pick of matches the First, Third and Fifth Rounds, and first pick of the Semi-finals.

ITV

At least 20 live matches per season with first pick and fourth pick of matches in the Second Round, Fourth Round and the Quarter Finals, as well as second and third picks for the First, Third and Fifth Rounds and second pick of the Semi-finals.

There will be at least 4 games on UK TV in this round, although there have been up to 6 in the first 2 rounds so my guess is they'll do 6.

Friday PM, Saturday Lunchtime, Saturday tea time, Sunday early afternoon, Sunday early evening and Monday PM

The rest not picked for UK Tv will be spread amongst a number of different kick off times across Saturday & Sunday due to the International TV deal which as with the PL gives broadcasters for other countries chance to show more including the Saturday 3pms. There is usually a number at 2 or 3pm on the Sunday as well not on UK TV

The League Cup Semi's take place midweek either side of the 3rd round weekend so any team involved in that won't play Friday or Monday night

For what its worth who i think will be picked is (in no particular order)

Swindon Town v Manchester City (Lower v Champions)
Nottingham Forest v Arsenal (Good potential for an upset)
Manchester United v Aston Villa (The Gerrard goes to OT narrative will be too hard to resist for BBC or ITV)
Chelsea v Chesterfield (Europeans champions v non league)
Millwall v Crystal Palace (Potential for scenes no one everyone wants to see)
Swansea City v Southampton (Again good for potential for a upset)

West Ham v Leeds may knock out the Swansea match

Last edited:
Bobby Marshall was not a name very familiar to me but what a game he had for City in the FA Cup replay v Swindon in 1930!
Five goals from inside forward in a 10-1 win

BAF776C7-FF50-4419-AB9B-F767B52F91C6.jpeg
Looked him up and after a prolific and successful career at Sunderland, he joined City and won promotion with us, then lost and won an FA Cup final in consecutive years, 1933 and 34, moved back to centre half as he got older and then won the league title in 1936/37, City’s first.
In textbook Typical City style, the reigning league champions were of course relegated the following season, despite being the league’s top scorers
Bobby Marshall. A lost City legend

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.