******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that shot certainly had its origins in a 20/20 game for sure. Bloody hell, I’m glad my old school sports master who was an absolute demon for properly executed defensive strokes isn’t alive to see that.
Straight bat boy!! What the hell is that elbow doing!!

You must love the contortions that Burns gets into then!

Broad should be asked I can’t believe he and never been asked
Not generally a fan of bowlers as captains but I take your point. Given that he was once T20 captain the powers that be obviously thought he had the tools for the job. They just went the tried and trusted route of picking your most senior batsman.

Not generally a fan of bowlers as captains but I take your point. Given that he was once T20 captain the powers that be obviously thought he had the tools for the job. They just went the tried and trusted route of picking your most senior batsman.

I dislike this “not a fan of bowlers as captains” why? Root on field in game captaincy is none existent for me! Surely as a world class batsman you can see a slight fault in a batsman technique! And change the field ask the bowler to bowl a certain way?

I dislike this “not a fan of bowlers as captains” why? Root on field in game captaincy is none existent for me! Surely as a world class batsman you can see a slight fault in a batsman technique! And change the field ask the bowler to bowl a certain way?

I think it just needs some non-rigid thinking, so I agree with this. The first test was finished with comments that England bowled too short, but they didn't change it at any point as Australia let themselves be hit knowing it was going over the stumps. The regularity with which England's field is scattered by mid-afternoon on day one of test matches suggests either the captain has no invention, the coaches and all the drink carriers/coaching couriers, or the bowlers aren't up to it.

Preparation seems to involve videos of the opposition but there doesn't seem to be many in the team with an interest in how test cricket works - compare with Atherton/Hussain who appeared to be well-informed about the game.

PS: That Cummins bloke... rubbish captain! Bit easier when you have 4 seamers who consistently hit the length and line they aim at.

Time to leave this "legacy" version of the game behind. Know your strengths and play to them. Focus our game on the more modern, exciting derivatives.

Well if your not then your argument lacks any credence when you start saying stupid things like root doesn’t deserve his place in the team on the back of this series.

Root has more runs than any other Englishman and the 3rd most in total this series (scored more than warner and Steve smith) and is widely accepted as one of if not the best batsman in the world. Surely even you can see that is a ridiculous argument

i said being the captain ?

root as a batsman am fine with and his stats before the ashes was outstanding i just don't think he is the right captain
its just my thoughts and like it or not my post means nothing to england test cricket team or joe root and will not change test cricket in england

when you lose people will judge you but when you lose the ashes without a fight i don't think you should be captain
and by the way root lost the last ashes down under 4.0 as well so its starting to stack up a bit

If the players didn't fear Root and were guaranteed their place come what may, surely we'd have a solid consistent top order from which a suitably experienced candidate for the job would emerge? The door is not closed if anything it's constantly revolving.

answer to the 2nd part of the question

central contracts are a big issue and you have to be on the list to play for england at all levels
the problem maybe is root and the coaches and the ECB think the batsman are good enough to play for england because they get chance after chance ?

Eoin Morgan should have been named captain of all forms of cricket at the time when he was named ODI captain
but was only give a short space of time to find his feet at test match cricket

Said it before.Silverwood and Root need replacing.Hussain should be the coach /manager.As for no one else to pick from well we cant go on picking Burns,Hameed,Pope etc because there is no one else.
Billings came in and did better than Buttler.This lot have had there chance lets pick some new talent and give them a chance.
The following should stay.
Crawley,Root,Stokes,Wood,Broad,Robinson Not sure Jimmy should carry on.
The following need never play for England again.
Burns,Malan,Bairstow,Pope,Hameed,Leach.
I would definately bring in Vince as captain and Foakes as keeper.
The rest is for new management to select and stick by as long as they improve.
At the moment we have batting line up devoid of basic technique.

your spot on
and sadly we know nothing going to change and root will remain captain and even the coach will not be sacked
the ECB have treated test cricket so bad in the past 7 years. i think it can not be fixed or will take 10 years from grass roots to come through again ? but that needs lots of money and lots of noses being put out of joint that think they are good at their jobs

the simple thing about the ashes down under is that it never changes ? the views of the ECB is to send over swing and part time spin knowing what is needed to compete with them.

mark woods is the only bowler i would have took and he is never fit ? archer also can never get fit for test cricket
i keep banging on about what sort of bowlers we are trying to produce in england for overseas tours ? and don't get me started on spinners or part time ones

It was a general point. Quick bowlers are more injury prone and need rotating occasionally especially in a 5 test series. There is always a danger that you can't get the ball out of their hands and they bowl themselves into ground like Flintoff at Lords against Sri Lanka.
Don't take my word for it just look at the history of the game and notable bowling captains are thin on the ground.. Illingworth is the only one I can come up with for England although dear old Bob Willis had a stint at the back end of his career.
In my time following the game the only name I can come up with is Imran Khan. The only other one with any longevity is Vettori with the Kiwis but (not unlike Illingworth) he was a spinner who could justify his place in any conditions and was also a very capable batsman.
A few sequences for you....

Lloyd, Richards, Richardson, Lara
Border, Waugh, Taylor, Ponting, Clarke, Smith
Azharuddin, Ganguly, Tendulkar, Dravid, Dhoni, Kohli

or even Gower Gatting Gower Gooch Atherton Stewart Hussain Vaughan -shambles- Strauss Cook Root

There are no realistic long term alternatives end of. This idea that the solution to the captaincy is some sort of silver bullet that will mask the deep rooted problems , not only in this team, but in the structure game in this country is getting pretty fucking tiresome tbh.I

and don't throw Pat Cummins at me I mean what has he beat?

It was a general point. Quick bowlers are more injury prone and need rotating occasionally especially in a 5 test series. There is always a danger that you can't get the ball out of their hands and they bowl themselves into ground like Flintoff at Lords against Sri Lanka.
Don't take my word for it just look at the history of the game and notable bowling captains are thin on the ground.. Illingworth is the only one I can come up with for England although dear old Bob Willis had a stint at the back end of his career.
In my time following the game the only name I can come up with is Imran Khan. The only other one with any longevity is Vettori with the Kiwis but (not unlike Illingworth) he was a spinner who could justify his place in any conditions and was also a very capable batsman.
A few sequences for you....

Lloyd, Richards, Richardson, Lara
Border, Waugh, Taylor, Ponting, Clarke, Smith
Azharuddin, Ganguly, Tendulkar, Dravid, Dhoni, Kohli

or even Gower Gatting Gower Gooch Atherton Stewart Hussain Vaughan -shambles- Strauss Cook Root

There are no realistic long term alternatives end of. This idea that the solution to the captaincy is some sort of silver bullet that will mask the deep rooted problems , not only in this team, but in the structure game in this country is getting pretty fucking tiresome tbh.I

and don't throw Pat Cummins at me I mean what has he beat?

Get all that so your saying no captain can win a game of his captaincy when in the field?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.