Running thread

After a fallow (well virtually non-existent) 2021 on the running front my resolution this year is to get myself back up to half marathon levels in 2022. Signed up for a half at Heaton Park in March to give me the kick up the arse I need. Anyone else doing that?

I did a 10k there last year and was absolutely shattered doing the course, what’s the race called?

A lot of bad stories on here unfortunately, good luck to all of those recovering from illness and injury - keep at it!

I'm into week 8 of my 18 week marathon programme now. Up to 12 miles on the long run, and it feels fairly comfortable. I had to skip the first two weeks of the programme due to covid and didn't run much last summer really. Despite that, the 5 HM's I completed last year have clearly not been forgotten by my legs and I've managed to shift the Christmas weight and run fairly well. A minor foot injury which from googling seems to be a tendon in the top of the foot which is likely from where I've tried to incorporate a lot of hill work. Will do some calf/foot stretches to try and keep that in check.

Nearly set a 10k PB last week (albeit I'm fairly new to the running game so PB's are more obtainable). Was 9 seconds off it despite a stop for 19 seconds according to elapsed time on strava - to re-tie my shoes twice!

Main issue I have is I've no idea what my marathon pace should be. My 10k run is around 48:30 and I think a HM time of 1hr50 would be achievable (I'll find out this weekend)!

I know pacing is critical, but I find that when I go for an easy paced run I start to get a lot of pain so getting further down the road with some more pace might not be a bad thing at the marathon?! It's going to hurt regardless!

A lot of bad stories on here unfortunately, good luck to all of those recovering from illness and injury - keep at it!

I'm into week 8 of my 18 week marathon programme now. Up to 12 miles on the long run, and it feels fairly comfortable. I had to skip the first two weeks of the programme due to covid and didn't run much last summer really. Despite that, the 5 HM's I completed last year have clearly not been forgotten by my legs and I've managed to shift the Christmas weight and run fairly well. A minor foot injury which from googling seems to be a tendon in the top of the foot which is likely from where I've tried to incorporate a lot of hill work. Will do some calf/foot stretches to try and keep that in check.

Nearly set a 10k PB last week (albeit I'm fairly new to the running game so PB's are more obtainable). Was 9 seconds off it despite a stop for 19 seconds according to elapsed time on strava - to re-tie my shoes twice!

Main issue I have is I've no idea what my marathon pace should be. My 10k run is around 48:30 and I think a HM time of 1hr50 would be achievable (I'll find out this weekend)!

I know pacing is critical, but I find that when I go for an easy paced run I start to get a lot of pain so getting further down the road with some more pace might not be a bad thing at the marathon?! It's going to hurt regardless!
It's never easy to decide on what your marathon pace should be but one thing is for sure: you're better off starting too slowly that starting too quickly.

If I were you, I'd set out around 9:20 pace, which would bring you in around 4:05.

By the time you get to 10 miles you could assess how you feel and if you feel good, up the pace to around 9:00 and if you can keep it around there, you should come in around the 4 hour mark.

It largely depends on how your training goes during the next 10 weeks though. Getting to a high weekly mileage and incorporating some speed work would be effective things to focus on.

It's never easy to decide on what your marathon pace should be but one thing is for sure: you're better off starting too slowly that starting too quickly.

If I were you, I'd set out around 9:20 pace, which would bring you in around 4:05.

By the time you get to 10 miles you could assess how you feel and if you feel good, up the pace to around 9:00 and if you can keep it around there, you should come in around the 4 hour mark.

It largely depends on how your training goes during the next 10 weeks though. Getting to a high weekly mileage and incorporating some speed work would be effective things to focus on.

Thanks mate, I'm trying to do some speed work and hill sprints and throwing a few miles at a quicker pace on the long run to get into the best condition for it. Would love to duck under 4hrs but it's my first marathon in 6 years and only my second overall - first attempt was 4:35 after injury hit training and injury hit event! So a lot of time to make up - staying injury free is my main aim for now - will see where I am at in the weeks tapering!

first 10k race signed up for end of the month around Hazel Grove, Stockport.

Now my foot pain is increasing as it goes on, been told i do have Plantar fasciitis but with some rock tape etc I can work with the issue when running.

However is it time I maybe look at different footwear? or a cushioned insole?

I currently run in Nike Pegasus 38. Only bought them less than 6 months ago so really dont want to be buying new trainers.

The insoles made for me by the NHS, the physio at my doctors has told me to not wear them as they won't help. Orderded some memory foam insoles and see how they work.

But has anyone owned either the Hoka Rincon 2 or the New Balance 1080v11? Both in the Jan sale.

As a rule they say HM time plus 15 mins so perhaps 4.05/4.10
For 1st marathon though target should be to finish
Make sure you do long runs on a Sunday and a medium long run midweek say 8/10 miles and find time for some speedwork or hill reps.

first 10k race signed up for end of the month around Hazel Grove, Stockport.

Now my foot pain is increasing as it goes on, been told i do have Plantar fasciitis but with some rock tape etc I can work with the issue when running.

However is it time I maybe look at different footwear? or a cushioned insole?

I currently run in Nike Pegasus 38. Only bought them less than 6 months ago so really dont want to be buying new trainers.

The insoles made for me by the NHS, the physio at my doctors has told me to not wear them as they won't help. Orderded some memory foam insoles and see how they work.

But has anyone owned either the Hoka Rincon 2 or the New Balance 1080v11? Both in the Jan sale.
I did have a pair of the NB 1080v11 thought they were great at first, very soft but after a week or two found them to be too soft and they were playing havoc with my knees.
With the plantar fascitis when i first started out I used to get all sorts of pains in my feet and ticked all the boxes for plantar, cant remember where i read or heard it but It was said that a lot of foot pain can come from other areas(its all connected bla bla bla), I started doing maybe 10 mins of foam rolling a day(itb, calves, glutes etc) and the pain just went, maybe worth giving a roller a try for a while?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.