Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paladin said:
That might have been Delaney. He was definitely on this afternoon - I heard them thank him when his piece finished. I didn't hear all his interview though.
No it was before he came on. Some opinionated clown talking through all the weekend games and acting like he knew everything

I thought I heard he was someone called 'Rooney'?? A West Ham fan.

Shouldn't have been booked.

Laws now are that a deliberate foul to break up play only gets a booking if (a) it stops the attack or (b) it satisfies other conditions (e,g reckless). Kante's was clearly neither.
Surely that falls under reckless? He left the ground & could only make contact with the rear of Kev (where there is no protection)it was a stop at all costs tackle without any thought of the consequences. I’ve seen several players red carded when they over commit to a tackle & the player takes evasive action to get out of the way (with no contact) that was a definite yellow

Surely that falls under reckless? He left the ground & could only make contact with the rear of Kev (where there is no protection)it was a stop at all costs tackle without any thought of the consequences. I’ve seen several players red carded when they over commit to a tackle & the player takes evasive action to get out of the way (with no contact) that was a definite yellow

It comes down to opinion at that point. I couldn't immediately tell you how much contact there was between them, but it didn't seem to be a terrible challenge to me, not a great deal of force and it didn't stop play.

If de Bruyne had been brought down, it was a clear yellow - this is the appropriate part of the law (as far as I can tell):
If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution/ sending-off would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution/ sending-off must be issued when the ball is next out of play. However, if the offence was denying the opposing team an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, the player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour; if the offence was interfering with or stopping a promising attack, the player is not cautioned.

So if the ref thought it was to stop an attack rather than reckless, there is no card.

The thing is, in 40 years I've never watched an English team other than City and thought "Wow, they're exciting to watch". I've seen exciting games involving other teams, quite a lot, in fact, but never as a general feature of a team's performances over more than one game. The point being, I'm not invested in other clubs. Unless United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc lose, I think their games are boring and wouldn't expect fans of those clubs to enjoy our games unless we lose.

And that's what these bloggers are really saying. "Unless City lose, it's boring to me because I don't support them". Fine for fans, but for anyone purporting to evidence any real knowledge of football, it just comes across as peevish infantilism.
I take your points but I have, in the past, enjoyed many great English club sides over the years and, indeed, supported them when reaching European finals etc.

From first being taken to Maine Road I've seen the Tottenham 'double' side of the early 60s; the great Liverpool teams built by Paisley and Dalglish; that fabulous football played by Nottingham Forest under Clough; the amazing team Wenger built around Thierry Henry at Arsenal; and, credit where it's due, even United have played some good attacking footy down the years. And I've enjoyed the quality of the football that each of these great sides have served up.

I was always a believer (especially having witnessed the title being won by 10 different clubs between 1959 and 1971) that it is 'good for the game' that trophies etc are spread around and so on.

But now let me say two things..

First, I have never seen football played to such a level by any English side as with the City squad in recent years. Never.

The technical skill and physical output of each individual player has been amazing to witness. Put them together as a squad and the sum of their parts makes them even greater still.

This football we are privileged to witness each week from Guardiola and his players is lightyears ahead of anything any other English club has produced.

Second, given the way that the sports media whores linked to the 'Big 4' have behaved towards City since the arrival of Sheik Mansour, never giving us credit for what our club has achieved and continues to achieve; and given the way those self-entitled moaners at United, Liverpool and Arsenal have behaved towards City too (from letters to UEFA and the Premier League, bus wrecking, griping away at every opportunity from FFP to 'financial doping' to Covid/'lack of injuries' and so on); then given all that garbage, I say "f**k 'em", I want us to win everything, again and again and again. And then win it all again for good measure.

And let them all, media and the other clubs, cry in their beer about it because their whingeing right now is simply jealousy and self-entitlement.

Last edited:
Took years for English football to recover after Graham Taylor got appointed to the national job - a manager who based his whole philosophy around long balls planted deep into the opposition half. This journalist prefers Taylor's approach. Dinosaur.
I don't think it was entirely Taylor's fault. The philosophy originated from the FA under the leadership of Bert Millichip in the early 80's.

Basically Millichip instigated a review of how to make English football more entertaining, which led to the assumption 'More goals = more entertainment'.

They then looked at how most goals were scored and found that in the vast majority of cases there was only 3 passes or less made prior to one being scored, and also that a significant amount of goals came from errors/mistakes at the back.

This is led to the long ball philosophy of lumping it into the opponents half as quickly as possible as it fitted with the '3 pass' thing whilst also potentially minimising errors.

On this basis they changed the whole FA/ England coaching set-up to incorporate this system. Early proponents of it were people like Big Sam etc, also Kendall's Everton system of the full backs lumping it to Graeme Sharp to knock it down for the likes of Sheedy etc

So basically the whole english coaching system was changed to emulate Wimbledon, whilst the upcoming european teams like Denmark, Norway and Sweden started to coach the possession based system of the successful Liverpool team.

This is what set English football back years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.