Liverpool Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure that you have a small squad, as all prem teams have their first team squads. What I see City as having done is look at the squad as a whole. Looked to balance it, have quality throughout rather than prioritising one area. Not spending huge huge sums on single players but getting quality throughout to ensure that you have two players in every position. That 50-60 mill bracket that hopefully means you get quality but not breaking the bank or being held to ransom. I know City fans love to hate TAA and Robertson and whilst I think they are great for us and do the job required. I do look covetously as Cancelo. 58mill and a player who can do anything.
I have said it before that FSG need to look at City and realise that your model works and it is something that needs to be copied. By not doing that we get the situation that has appeared over the last couple of weeks.
City have a squad of 18 outfield players including Foden, who being 21 and home grown doesn't need to be registered, plus three keepers, one of which is really a goalkeeping coach
It is one of the smallest named squads in the league, but it is packed with talent and versatility
We haven't two players for every position. We don't have a recognised centre forward or left back

Here's a reply I posted on Twitter to one of the clueless twunts. He was trying to compare spending since Pep arrived. Pep arrived in 2016/17, so his spending would only start in the 2018 accounts. So I compared the cash available to the two clubs and how much had been spent on players. I actually had to use the CFG figure for us, so it's probably a little high, but it's very instructive.

In the 3 years up to and including 2020, we generated free cash plus player sales of £585m, whereas Liverpool's figure was £574m. So very little difference in theoretically available cash. However, we spent £592m cash in the same period whereas they only spent £450m. They should be angry at their owners, not us.

Edit: I meant spent £592m cash on players of course.

Last edited:
Here's a reply I posted on Twitter to one of the clueless twunts. He was trying to compare spending since Pep arrived. Pep arrived in 2016/17, so his spending would only start in the 2018 accounts. So I compared the cash available to the two clubs and how much had been spent on players. I actually had to use the CFG figure for us, so it's probably a little high, but it's very instructive.

In the 3 years up to and including 2020, we generated free cash plus player sales of £585m, whereas Liverpool's figure was £574m. So very little difference in theoretically available cash. However, we spent £592m cash in the same period whereas they only spent £450m. They should be angry at their owners, not us.
With an ageing squad their owners definitely need to invest in their squad. The shit will really hit the fan if Salah is allowed to leave, mind you the deluded idiots would probably blame that on City

After tonights result Chelsea are 12 points behind City, and City have 1 game in hand on Chelsea. A possible 15 points difference.

So it's now between City and the Dippers for the PL title.

City either deny the Dippers the PL title again, or the Dippers get their revenge and stop City winning the title from a probable 8 point lead.

With an ageing squad their owners definitely need to invest in their squad. The shit will really hit the fan if Salah is allowed to leave, mind you the deluded idiots would probably blame that on City

Or Chelsea fans. Or Juventus fans. Or a Bulgarian Waiter. Or their own fans locked outside CL finals with tickets. Or Barcelona citizens falling in the fountains. Or Liverpool Football Club employees illegally hacking City's player database. Etc.

Edit: I meant spent £592m cash on players of course.

Confused.

So you are saying Sane, Stones, Bravo, Nolito, Gundogan, Zinchenko and Jesus plus some others weren't Pep signings even though they would all have been included in the 16/17 accounting year?

Also they were all included as "after the year end" in the 15/16 accounts.

Confused.

So you are saying Sane, Stones, Bravo, Nolito, Gundogan, Zinchenko and Jesus plus some others weren't Pep signings even though they would all have been included in the 16/17 accounting year?

Also they were all included as "after the year end" in the 15/16 accounts.
You're right. Thanks. For some reason I thought he'd come in after the window. I've updated the figures to include 2016/17.

We had an estimated £690m of available cash and paid out £790m cash for players. We could do this because of the Chinese investment (which isn't part of that £690m available cash generated from operations & player sales) that came in that year.

Liverpool had £703m available cash (so pretty well the same as us again) and paid out £547m for players. So they reinvested just under 78% , which seems to be their longer term pattern of reinvesting around 80%.

After tonights result Chelsea are 12 points behind City, and City have 1 game in hand on Chelsea. A possible 15 points difference.

So it's now between City and the Dippers for the PL title.

City either deny the Dippers the PL title again, or the Dippers get their revenge and stop City winning the title from a probable 8 point lead.
Chelsea are surely out of it barring a Devon Lock-esque collapse from us (and Liverpool would have to implode a fair bit too). I'm definitely not writing Liverpool off in the title race just yet though. If the 11 point gap was with the same number of games played then that would probably be too much for them, but the game in hand along with still having to play us means they could potentially get it down to 5 points. That would mean us needing to drop 5 more points than them in our other 15 games. A couple of poor results back-to-back could see us drop those 5 points and all of a sudden it doesn't look quite as healthy as it does at the moment.

Of course, the pressure of being so far behind us currently could just as easily see the gap go the other way but I'm not counting my chickens just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.