Stalybridge

jimharri

Has been named "Greater Manchester Town of Culture for 2022"

I'm pretty sure we have a few Stalybridge residents on here. What are your views on this development? Is it something to be proud of?

And no, I'm not wumming/taking the piss.

No longer a resident but was born and bred there and experienced the cultural revolution that was stalyvegas. The accolade is long over due for that reason alone. I imagine the plans at the time to develop the canal side into bars restaurants and cafes for the more discerning diner have now come to pass........

That article paints a pretty picture, it isn't like that at all!

The rain falls hard on a humdrum town
This town has dragged you down. Oh, the rain falls hard on a humdrum town. This town has dragged you down. -

Morrissey was right and still is right, because he could have wrote that about Stalybridge.

The town centre used to be a good place to shop 30 years ago, it had a busy a market hall and small market with some good shops. Then Tesco came along and later Aldi. Those 2 stores helped kill off the local shops.

There isn't even one shoe or clothes shop in the town, and only the NatWest bank remains when there used to be 4 banks. If you want a bookies no problem, there are several. And as for the town once being dubbed 'Stalyvegas', well it was, but that was over 20 years ago. It's ok to drink in still at weekends but it's heyday of attracting 5 to 10000 weekend revelers from all over greater Manchester Yorkshire and Derbyshire, those nights have long gone.

I know because I was born there. When I got married I moved away for 27 years and I've ended up living back there 3 years ago. Where I live is nice and I have a great view of the pennine foothills. But Stalybridge is no longer it's former self, unfortunately.

Last edited:
It had been on decline for 20 years but is back on the way up and there is a lot of potential to realise. Some good new restaurants and bars popped up recently.

I believe there is a lot of excitement there regarding Christmas trees and bunting!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.