Southampton (A) - Post Match Thread

I would like to see the number of crosses into their box and what % actually made it to a City player. I'm guessing 50 + crosses with >15% success rate.
For all the first half, we were crossing to a box full of Southampton players, Foden was wide and Grealish wider, Sterling wide on the other side and no one from midfield was breaking into the box. The game would have suited Gündoğan.

For some reason football is very easy nowadays and we’re expected to win every single game we play, home or away. When we don’t win, then there has to be a reason and if Sterling is on the pitch then it seems to be an easy out, regardless of the way the other 10 play.

Across the board, we were very poor in the 1st half and Southampton exploited that with their counter. Foden and Grealish didn’t do anything of note so the fact that Sterling actually got somewhere was a bonus, but frustrating.

My overarching concern with the first half was the lack of coherent play across the back and midfield, as well as the loss of the intricate play.

The team were off it for the 1st 25 minutes.
Agree that Sterling usually ends up the fall guy when we fail to win.
Brings it on himself though at times,due to his sometime relatively poor ball control and glaring misses.
However he keeps getting into positions to miss,in the 1st place so he is deserving of respect for that.

I'd still be tempted to cash in if we got a big transfer offer if I were the manager.

Sloppy start, poor for 20 mins after with only one attempt in the first 30 mins.

After that we played well and deserved to win but we didn’t. De Bruyne was fired up second half and it was his drive that spurred us forward. Some of the other players had an off day. Foden should be tracking that goal scorer, I thought Rodri and Laporte were also a bit slow to react to that too and Sterling has to score that chance. It was a shocking miss. I’d expect a forward player to score that 95/100 but with Sterling I’d expect him to score it 70/100.

Bit disappointing to drop 2 points with the rest and prep time and to only pick up 2 points in the season against them. Saying that I didn’t think we particularly deserved to win against Arsenal so evens that a bit. Least we didn’t lose though and every point matters.

Goals are becoming a bit of an issue. Need to get back into the scoring habit.

The rules are crazy. I’m fine that the foul was just outside the box but If they are looking at a pen and don’t give it and say it was a foul outside the box then it has to be a free kick surely? Mad.

Grealish has been involved in sixteen of the eighteen league victories , so he isnt a passenger in the team , he makes a big contibution to a team effort , if Pep thought for one minute he wasnt pulling his weight he wouldnt be near the starting line up
Bernardo , Sterling and a couple of others were more ineffectual agaisnt S'ton , but there appears to be a trend in the media and some of our "fans" to knock the lad , he gives 100% and i love his attitude , he doent take shit off oppostion players and stands up for himself ,
Her will be a star in the next 12 months , just like Bernardo , Rodri ,Cancelo and a couple of others , let him settle in and get used to the club , tactics and new surroundings.
Apparently he's now also responsible for Foden not scoring today as well.

Fuckin hope so mate. Something's not been right with him after he was dropped for the piss up he had with Grealish.

Also, if there's a player we're missing right now, it's Gundog. We were badly in need of him in central midfield from 70 minutes on.

Has he just been mostly rested these past few games to keep him fresh for when the CL restarts, & to help get KDB up to speed after injury? Is he d
suffering an injury? Or has Pep dropped him in favour of KDB? :-|
I think the Gundogan observation is on point, I think we’re a better team with him in there, however, CL is at the forefront of peps thinking, despite what is argued…

As for Phil, stop start no doubt, yet to find his groove but unlike last year timing may work in our favour, levels will go up this time im hoping, rather than peaking to soon!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.