Julian Alvarez | Signs for City (see main forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, hardcore River Plate fan here. I was interested on seeing what you had to say about Álvarez. Initially I was planning on just lurking but I couldn't help myself and I wanted to provide some River fan perspective to some of your doubts.

1) First, I wanted to start by saying that it impossible to guess which Argie players will do well in Europe and which won't.

I've seen great Argie players that I was sure will do great in Europe and then flopped, and I've seen players that were mediocre down here and then went to Europe and became stars.

With that said, Julian is a freaking beast. He won us the league almost all by himself. Best player in South America by far. Getting the best player from South America is surely the safest best outside of Europe.

2) The loan thing. Like I said, Álvarez is about 70% of our team, so River is not desperate to sell him. In fact they don't want to sell him, specially so cheap. That's why originally the management said that they wouldn't enter in negotiations in regards to Álvarez. You want him? Pay the clause. But apparently River has a good relationship with the City Group and they got to a compromise where City would secure Álvarez for less than the clause, if they let him stay here in River, at least, until June.

3) I've seen some people mock the defending because of a few youtube clips. What did you expect? It is the highlights video of the best player in SA, of course the defending will look bad haha. Go watch a highlights video of Messi and he makes the defending of the best teams in the World look bad. You are mistaken if you think the defending here is a lot lower than what teams like Newcastle, Leeds or Villa present.

4) I've also seen some doubts about Julian only getting noticed now at 21. The thing is he started playing as a number 9 last year. Before that we had a pair of strikers that did a lot of great things for our squad, so Gallardo wasn't going to sub them for a 20 year old, no matter how good. That's why Álvarez switched between starter and sub for a couple year and never had the chance of trully playing as a striker. He played a lot as a winger and even midfielder. As soon as he was given the chance to play as a number 9, he exploded.

Álvarez is wonderkid the likes of Agüero and Tevez. There has always been buzz around him, is just that River has had a lot of good strikers recently blocking him. At age 11 he tried out for Real Madrid and scored 4 or 5 goals, Madrid wanted to keep him but legally couldn't because he was too young. He has also played at every level with the National Squad, including winning the Copa America with the major.

Hopefully this insight from a guy that has seen every Álvarez match helps. Cheers.

I agree its great for River but you ask why and there can only be two posibilities one that i outlined and the only other one is City are trying to keep arguably the best football school in the World on good terms for further deals
Again, seems like a deal that is great for River, not for us. If we want your manager or a player in the future we would just get him, doesnt exactly depend on us basically donating money for Alvarez to keep you happy.

How about you give us Alvarez for free? Would make you be on good terms with us if we want to buy anyone from you in the future. That doesnt make any sense? Exactly.

Pep says wonderful things about many people, to the point it seems like self-parody at times. Gallardo is a good manager, but we’re not getting someone with zero European experience for this project. Especially not a manager caught on a hot mike telling his player he should have gone in to hurt the opponent In fouls after a game against Boca Juniors just months ago

First, lol take a breath there... “arguably”? You seem Argentinian and I get the excitement, but don’t get carried away.
Secondly, paying a fat fee for a player out of contract in less than 12 months should be enough
Sorry just trying to help but since its like that just l
First, lol take a breath there... “arguably”? You seem Argentinian and I get the excitement, but don’t get carried away.
Secondly, paying a fat fee for a player out of contract in less than 12 months should be enough
Sorry just trying to answer a question.We dont over excited at new talent here just remember where Crespo,Higuain,Mascherano,Saviola Alexis Sanchez,Falcao etc came from in the last decade or so and I guess quite a few around here would love to have Di Stefano's medals!!! So enjoy Julian

Hello, hardcore River Plate fan here. I was interested on seeing what you had to say about Álvarez. Initially I was planning on just lurking but I couldn't help myself and I wanted to provide some River fan perspective to some of your doubts.

1) First, I wanted to start by saying that it impossible to guess which Argie players will do well in Europe and which won't.

I've seen great Argie players that I was sure will do great in Europe and then flopped, and I've seen players that were mediocre down here and then went to Europe and became stars.

With that said, Julian is a freaking beast. He won us the league almost all by himself. Best player in South America by far. Getting the best player from South America is surely the safest best outside of Europe.

2) The loan thing. Like I said, Álvarez is about 70% of our team, so River is not desperate to sell him. In fact they don't want to sell him, specially so cheap. That's why originally the management said that they wouldn't enter in negotiations in regards to Álvarez. You want him? Pay the clause. But apparently River has a good relationship with the City Group and they got to a compromise where City would secure Álvarez for less than the clause, if they let him stay here in River, at least, until June.

3) I've seen some people mock the defending because of a few youtube clips. What did you expect? It is the highlights video of the best player in SA, of course the defending will look bad haha. Go watch a highlights video of Messi and he makes the defending of the best teams in the World look bad. You are mistaken if you think the defending here is a lot lower than what teams like Newcastle, Leeds or Villa present.

4) I've also seen some doubts about Julian only getting noticed now at 21. The thing is he started playing as a number 9 last year. Before that we had a pair of strikers that did a lot of great things for our squad, so Gallardo wasn't going to sub them for a 20 year old, no matter how good. That's why Álvarez switched between starter and sub for a couple year and never had the chance of trully playing as a striker. He played a lot as a winger and even midfielder. As soon as he was given the chance to play as a number 9, he exploded.

Álvarez is wonderkid the likes of Agüero and Tevez. There has always been buzz around him, is just that River has had a lot of good strikers recently blocking him. At age 11 he tried out for Real Madrid and scored 4 or 5 goals, Madrid wanted to keep him but legally couldn't because he was too young. He has also played at every level with the National Squad, including winning the Copa America with the major.

Hopefully this insight from a guy that has seen every Álvarez match helps. Cheers.
Thank for that River Plate

Welcome!
You make a lot of sense:)

I personally have no doubt about Alvarez being a huge talent. If he is good enough to start at City on the other hand, time will tell, hopefully he is. Many huge talents and senior internationals have failed before him, and will probably fail after him as well. I would prefer if we just signed him immediately, since the "discount" on the release clause by letting him stay on a loan is so small it basically doesnt make any difference for us.

The main thing about the loan, from my perspective, is not if we let you keep him on loan until the summer though. That part I have no problems with really, even if I see no real logical reason to not just pay the full release fee and get him now. Its if we would let you keep him to the end of October, making it impossible for him to join here before next January because of the transfer windows. Since his contract is expiring, it makes no sense to me to pay money for him now, if we wont get him before his contract expires anyway. Why would we just not sign him on a free then?
From my perspective, as a City fan, it sounds like a tremendous deal for River, getting to both sell and keep the player at the same time.
For City it just seems like a strange thing to pay for something you could get for free.

In short:
Paying the release clause and get him here now = Makes sense
Paying a little smaller fee, and loan him out to the summer = Makes some sense
Paying a fee, having him join in a year when his contract expires = Makes no sense at all

Reports River want Taty Castellanos from NYCFC as his replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.