10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
lads, just saying the words "but what about mahrez" does not actually constitute an argument. it's whataboutism. Grealish and mahrez could have wildly differing trajectories, and unlike what you're trying to claim, they haven't had even remotely comparable first seasons, grealish has been far far FAR worse than either mahrez, rodri or cancelo were in their first season.

Let alone the pricetag paid on each one.

luckily, I am still allowed to talk my mind

seriously, after 5.5 years in the job, are we not aware that pep sometimes lies to the press?

Course I will, because I never "wrote anyone off", this is such a bizarre thing to claim. But I also know what my eyes see. And if saturday's performance was Jack's "best performance in a city shirt" than to me he hasn't had a single performance that I would even dare classify as "good", going by guardiola's standards.

There's a billion mitigating factors and it's all fine and well to magically wait for things to become better, and hell, under pep they often do. But to be called "arrogant" because I react to how things right now are

Not sure I even follow what your trying to say.

Simply put for you, Grealish was not exceptional Saturday far from it. Not even Jack’s mum would deceive his mediocre performance Saturday as “exceptional” Pep is cleverly using the opportunity to try and build confidence and relieve any pressure starting to mount in the media.. It’s the oldest trick in the book.
Yep Peps played a blinder there, in fact his comments are sensational :)

he was decent in first half albeit nothing came of his runs really, then faded badly second half.

far from exceptional overall lol. nobody was btw, Jesus did well as a sub bringing some momentum into the game and thats it really. even Laporte's goal was to correct his lack of blocking for their goal.

a few goals would raise his confidence probably to try more of the actual goalscoring/creating. would deffo start him vs Fulham just to grab one goal/assist at least.

he cannot play it safe all the time, if Sterling, Mahrez would do that instead of scoring who the hell would deliver all the goals?

will be interesting to see with Mahrez back early if he takes back his starting spot from the right and where that leaves Sterling/Grealish.

at this point I would go with Foden-Jesus-Mahrez trio for a few games, despite Jesus really lacking the goals but to me he is a better false 9 than Grealish and presses like crazy.

Or if we could afford missing Bernardo from the middle I would put him to false 9 it worked well imo last year vs Dortmund, PSG where KDB and Bernardo changed between them the false 9 role in couple games.

lads, just saying the words "but what about mahrez" does not actually constitute an argument. it's whataboutism. Grealish and mahrez could have wildly differing trajectories, and unlike what you're trying to claim, they haven't had even remotely comparable first seasons, grealish has been far far FAR worse than either mahrez, rodri or cancelo were in their first season.

Funnily enough I've been reading the Mahrez 18/19 thread from around December/January time that season, and it reads exactly like this one.

Waste of money, should have kept Sancho, what's the point if he's not even playing, and a few others suggesting maybe we should give him time.

The Cancelo thread at this point of his 1st season was people calling him a waste of money, saying he obviously wants to leave, getting mad at Txiki, a bunch of people wondering why he's not getting games, and a few others suggesting maybe we should give him time.

In fact, I could probably go through quite a few of these initial threads of now well rated players and find a trend. More interestingly, it's often the same names popping up with the early criticism

I think the comparisons to Mahrez are totally fair.

So pricetag is an important factor in your reasoning ?

He is playing so crap, but Pep continues to play him.

So pricetag is an important factor in your reasoning ?
To be fair, it has to be. For £100m, it's reasonable to expect to be signing the finished article. That said, Jack didn’t set the fee, and I don't recall anyone outside of City even suggesting that he would be a good fit at City. Simple fact is that he's nowhere near as good a player as his teammates at City.

He's an expensive gamble, just the same as every player signed for a big fee by any club.

Imagine us signing Haaland for £64m and paying him £500k a week for him to be no better in his first season than Roque Santa's Cruz, Jo, or Bony... He'd be slaughtered right across the media.
Yet, in similar circumstances, (footballwise) Jack gets a relatively easy ride from the media - probably because he's English. The criticism comes from City fans who - quite rightly, imo -expect a lot more from him

Jack will come good eventually, even if he has to leave City to look a better player. At the moment, he's firmly in Steve Daley territory for me. He's a square peg in a round hole.

Funnily enough I've been reading the Mahrez 18/19 thread from around December/January time that season, and it reads exactly like this one.

Waste of money, should have kept Sancho, what's the point if he's not even playing, and a few others suggesting maybe we should give him time.

The Cancelo thread at this point of his 1st season was people calling him a waste of money, saying he obviously wants to leave, getting mad at Txiki, a bunch of people wondering why he's not getting games, and a few others suggesting maybe we should give him time.

In fact, I could probably go through quite a few of these initial threads of now well rated players and find a trend. More interestingly, it's often the same names popping up with the early criticism

I think the comparisons to Mahrez are totally fair.
it doesn't matter what "the thread was" if as you indicated it's always going to look like it, then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.