10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a fantastic player but I’m not sure he’s being allowed to be. He’s never been a left winger I know that. He should play as a no 10 for me and he’ll get us 15 goals guaranteed per season.

To be fair, it has to be. For £100m, it's reasonable to expect to be signing the finished article. That said, Jack didn’t set the fee, and I don't recall anyone outside of City even suggesting that he would be a good fit at City. Simple fact is that he's nowhere near as good a player as his teammates at City.

He's an expensive gamble, just the same as every player signed for a big fee by any club.

Imagine us signing Haaland for £64m and paying him £500k a week for him to be no better in his first season than Roque Santa's Cruz, Jo, or Bony... He'd be slaughtered right across the media.
Yet, in similar circumstances, (footballwise) Jack gets a relatively easy ride from the media - probably because he's English. The criticism comes from City fans who - quite rightly, imo -expect a lot more from him

Jack will come good eventually, even if he has to leave City to look a better player. At the moment, he's firmly in Steve Daley territory for me. He's a square peg in a
To be fair, it has to be. For £100m, it's reasonable to expect to be signing the finished article. That said, Jack didn’t set the fee, and I don't recall anyone outside of City even suggesting that he would be a good fit at City. Simple fact is that he's nowhere near as good a player as his teammates at City.

He's an expensive gamble, just the same as every player signed for a big fee by any club.

Imagine us signing Haaland for £64m and paying him £500k a week for him to be no better in his first season than Roque Santa's Cruz, Jo, or Bony... He'd be slaughtered right across the media.
Yet, in similar circumstances, (footballwise) Jack gets a relatively easy ride from the media - probably because he's English. The criticism comes from City fans who - quite rightly, imo -expect a lot more from him

Jack will come good eventually, even if he has to leave City to look a better player. At the moment, he's firmly in Steve Daley territory for me. He's a square peg in a round hole.

If the management thought he was worth the asking price that is all that matters.
I don't think fans are the best arbiters of transfer fees because we are not party to the abilities considered to be important to the club and team.

for that reason I don't accept the assertion that the fee should reflect the finished article.

If Pep is satisfied with Grealish and his performances I doubt he could care that a number of fans disagree with his signing.

As we witness from the Transfer Forum, it is highly unlikely that many suggested by fans would ever be bought by the club, so fans opinions of transfer values really are of little consideration imo.

Last edited:
it doesn't matter what "the thread was" if as you indicated it's always going to look like it, then!
Well it does matter in the context of showcasing how this season for Grealish can be compared to the seasons of players like Mahrez or Cancelo when they first arrived.

You keep saying Mahrez was better than Grealish in his first season, but Mahrez barely featured in the first half of his first season in any meaningful way. Same with Cancelo.

He is a fantastic player but I’m not sure he’s being allowed to be. He’s never been a left winger I know that. He should play as a no 10 for me and he’ll get us 15 goals guaranteed per season.

I think you're overrating him. He's hit double figures once so far in the previous nine seasons and that includes three years in the Championship and one in League One.

His productivity in terms of goal contributions could well go up but I don't think he's guaranteed to score 15 a season at all, much in the same way that I wouldn't expect Kev or David or Bernardo or Ilkay to get those numbers. He's a creator like those guys. Gundo obviously had a good tally last season but he's by no means expected to repeat it anytime soon.

It's not that he's not being allowed to be a fantastic player, it's just that he's adjusting. Pep will improve him, not hinder him; providing he keeps himself on the straight and narrow and I've got faith that he'll do that.

Still, I wouldn't go putting money on him being a prolific goalscorer at any point because it simply isn't his game.

Well it does matter in the context of showcasing how this season for Grealish can be compared to the seasons of players like Mahrez or Cancelo when they first arrived.

You keep saying Mahrez was better than Grealish in his first season, but Mahrez barely featured in the first half of his first season in any meaningful way. Same with Cancelo.
By this point of the season, 24/1/2019, in his first season, Mahrez had 9 goals and 10 assists in all competitions. Grealish has 3 goals and 3 assists.

Mahrez has played, by this point of the season in 2018/19, 1767 minutes. Grealish has so far played 1676 minutes.

Jack still getting used to not being best player in the team. Also think he needs to grow up a bit more, take the game a bit more seriously and apply himself. Kind of worry that he's gonna lead Phil astray as well. Hopefully it all works out.

I don't think fans are the best arbiters of transfer fees because we are not party to the abilities considered to be important to the club and team.

Fans may well lack knowledge of the intricacies of the requirements and expectations of the club, but they're not stupid. It's natural to expect the team to be built around a £100m signing, not to see them as a passenger for a year or so.

Anybody who honestly thinks Jack Grealish was good value at £100m (and circa £300k a week wages) is living in cloud cuckoo land.

He's a decent £25/30m player who would have probably seen out his career at Villa if City hadn't come waving ridiculous money about.

If there is a long term plan for him at City, I hope it's a bloody good one.

By this point of the season, 24/1/2019, in his first season, Mahrez had 9 goals and 10 assists in all competitions. Grealish has 3 goals and 3 assists.

Mahrez has played, by this point of the season in 2018/19, 1767 minutes. Grealish has so far played 1676 minutes.

Because Pep wanted him in the team .

Which bit don't you want to understand to try and justify your dislike of the player ?

Too fucking obvious to pretend otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.