Progressive Rock

That's already the phase where Yes lost me. Imo Awaken is way overrated and "Going for the One" is a decent output but not that much more. Tormato imo was their first really bad long player. But I of course know that my opinion is mostly controversial among Yes fans.
Hmm, I’m not so sure it’s that controversial; there’s a lot of old skool original Yes fans who prefer the 1970–74 output above all else; the folk who’d put Close to the Edge at the top of the pile for example. It’s not a view I share, but I respect it. Funnily enough I really do love all the songs on the Yes Album from 1970, but only intermittently after that. Tormato-wise, On The Silent Wings Of Freedom, and Don’t Kill The Whale I think are top drawer esp live, but I can take or leave the rest of it. As for your comment on Awaken, I think it’s best if I tactically ignore it! ;-)
Great band though, regardless.

I have spent years discussing Yes online with various people and I don’t think your view is controversial at all.
However I was “awakened” to Yes by GFTO and I think it’s most complete album by them. Five great tracks showcasing their individual and collective brilliance. As complete as the revered CTTE in my eyes.
I agree with Tormato which could and should have been better.
Good call pal.

The Yes Album,
GFTO,
would be my top 3 by a mile, but I’d find it very hard to rank/choose between those three.

CTTE for me has always been their peak. The last Yes album featuring the brilliant Bill Bruford. Alan White was a top drummer but so different than Bill, who's intricacies and detail for me make him the best rock drummer ever imo.
Alan is more a straightahead rock drummer but Bill is more than that, like Steve Howe he incorporates different styles, especially Jazz into his playing. Like Steve Howe he is a fusion player. King Crimson were very lucky to get him.

I hold CTTE as the greatest Prog album. Who else could come up with that long complicated but wholly listenable intro, And the beautifull And You And I ?
CTTE doesn’t have a weak spot and I agree about “And you and I” which is safely in my Top 10 Yes tracks.
I prefer GFTO as it’s more punchy and showcases the individual talent to the Max.That’s not to say I don’t think CTTE is excellent.

Apologies for interupting the Yes thread.
I'm really enjoying the new Flower Kings album In fact think the last 3 of theirs have been their best 3. Still on the long side but prefer the many shorter songs to their earier long songs

I'm really enjoying the new Flower Kings album In fact think the last 3 of theirs have been their best 3. Still on the long side but prefer the many shorter songs to their earier long songs

Love it , I don't how they come up with so many new songs.Agreed that the previous two were also top notch.

I bought Paradox Hotel and Sum of all Fears.
I like the former but not so much the latter. Tendency to record everything and albums overlong.
I do like Jonas Reingold - cracking bassist.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.