Jimmy Savile

About fifteen years ago I used a forum that was used by quite a few media types. One poster wrote that when he dies there will be a thick file of his crimes.

I think the thing that protected Savile was he acted like he was completely innocent and that it was all just malicious gossip.

Documentary throws up a few instances where things he said and did SHOULD have raised issues, but (sadly) “back in the day” not only were nonces commonplace, but they were prevalent in positions of power. This helped many of them carry on without fear of reprisal.

It is only the recent crackdown on the rich and famous not being above the law that people have felt more open to exposing the issue.

Savile cultivated a definite public image, and ingratiated himself with the high and mighty, so as to not only insulate himself, but to curry favor from those who might be approached with information (Yorkshire Police & BBC primary amongst them!)

He preyed on the weak and vulnerable, who were often unable to do anything about it, and felt like they would be dismissed, and possibly worse, if they did speak up.

As he stated himself, he wasn’t “clever” he was “tricky,” and it’s the ones who try to be clever that trip themselves up…that’s why he was tricky!

It seems clear to me that BOTH the Police and the BBC were compromised by their relationship with him, and not only that the reflected (public) glory seduced them all, but there were others like him in their midst.

It literally felt like watching a real life version of the background storyline of Line of Duty.

As for what it says about the “blind eye” that is common in the upper echelons of British society, it speaks to the privilege it can be so easy to cultivate and leverage, and it wouldn’t surprise me one but if Savile, much like Epstein in America, went to his grave with secrets that have kept many, many of the privileged class from facing the music.

As a meme, the whole “eccentric Brit” has always been a little suspect to me. Often, those eccentricities mask underlying issues that are not always as innocent as they might seem. The worst part of Savile’s was that he peeled back the curtain just a little bit for us so many times, yet we peeked and thought “Oh, what a character!” instead of “Did he just say/do what I think he said/did, and what does it mean?”

Hindsight is often even sharper than 20/20, especially where malfeasance shines a negative light on ourselves, but one can only hope this episode, and YewTree, have shone a light in dark places that will be dark no more.

Emphasis on “hope,” because I believe the reality does not bear thinking about…which brings me back to the blind eye!

About fifteen years ago I used a forum that was used by quite a few media types. One poster wrote that when he dies there will be a thick file of his crimes.

I think the thing that protected Savile was he acted like he was completely innocent and that it was all just malicious gossip.

what protected Savile was what he knew about the others and talking top table stuff
he was the key part of the lodge and the secret handshake club at the BBC

when you have the likes of prince andrew now being outed ? you think he was the only one from the royals

What protected him was his closest friends were the royals and senior government officials "cough ted heath".

The fact many who facilitated and covered up his crimes are still in high office and living off us peasants is a crime in itself.

Uttley bizarre that Prince Charles wrote hundreds of letters to him advising how the royals should act in front of the public. He was sort of an unofficial advisor to The Royal Family

Yep, a 10+ minute segment of the big Netflix documentary is dedicated to his very close relationship with the Royals, and him being essentially their chief PR advisor through the 80's.

Just what the Royal Family wants right now!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.