Liverpool FA Cup s/f (N) | Post Match Thread

Good post.

Has anyone else been brave enough (or daft enough) and watched it again? We were bad (compared to usual) but not that bad, and Liverpool certainly weren't that good. Not 3 goals better at half-time.
We were absolutely terrible in the first half. Couldn’t string simple passes together and looked like 11 strangers who’d met 5 minutes before kick off

Klopp is talking shite as usual. That wasn’t their best 45 minutes of the season. If it was they’d have been 6 or 7 up we were that bad

The uncomfortable truth for a lot of people is that a greater number of people just don't care about the domestic cups if their own team is no longer involved.

There was a time when the FA Cup was indeed a special competition but the efforts of the FA, managers and broadcasters have reduced the competition to a shadow of its former self. There is no doubt that it was the biggest competition in its own right up until the MOTD era, and then at least the equal of the First Division up until the Premier League era. It is now firmly third place in the pecking order or, in Pep's case, sometimes fourth place.

Broadly speaking, however, top-level football is a two-tier hierarchy - the PL and CL occupy the top tier and the domestic cups occupy the bottom tier. Commercial realities have only made this chasm more noticeable. Modern football is such that there is little recognition for winning the domestic cups. There was a time when people could tell you everything about every postwar FA Cup final - scorelines, goalscorers, captains, etc. Can anyone really reel off the winners and details about the finals from the last 15 years without really having to think hard?

The point here is that the game is full of people who were not brought up on the FA Cup. Pep Guardiola is one of those people. It's really not his fault that he doesn't place as much emphasis on winning the FA Cup as some fans would like. He is ultimately judged on his ability to deliver league titles and Champions League trophies by his employers and the football world alike.

Domestic cups can be the icing on a title-winning cake (think 2014, 2018, 2019 and 2021) but in isolation they have very little value. Our 2019/20 season was not regarded as a success even though we won the League Cup that season.

So Pep had a decision to make - rest our key players after a gruelling tie in Madrid in a competition everyone says he needs to win, or play them with a real risk of fatigue or injuries jeopardising the competitions against which he is ultimately judged. Even in the latter scenario, he has to be conscious of the fact that he might still not win.

I was at Wembley yesterday and was disappointed with how things turned out, but I do see Pep's point-of-view. He has assembled a really talented group of players but the depth is not what it was three years ago. When he put out a strong team at Swindon in the 3rd round, he could not have known what would have happened in April. Well, we got to April and found that circumstances had conspired against us; we were up against an excellent opponent that was well-rested and in a better position to play its strongest available team. The manager felt that he had to make a decision that was in the best interests of the bigger picture and the more pressing priorities. I might not like it, but I understand and respect his choices.
Absolutely spot on mate.

I went yesterday and the whole trip probably cost me close to a grand for me and my lads. I also left at half time with both of my boys in tears.

But I don’t blame Pep or the players one little bit. If I blame anyone it’s the dirty bastards at Atletico and the fixtures computer. We had no choice but to play that team and I’m happy to see the bigger picture.
Understand what you're saying but. Steffan? I have only just seen the goals on telly and I think he should and Ederson would have had all 3. No excuses.

Understand what you're saying but. Steffan? I have only just seen the goals on telly and I think he should and Ederson would have had all 3. No excuses.
I just plucked up the courage to watch the short highlights on the OS. What on earth was Zack thinking (or not) for their second goal. And why the hell did Zinnie make such a weak header back toward goal - it should have been booted into Row Z.
Assuming we meet in the CL Final and have a full strength team we'll make the scousers eat dirt.

As soon as I saw the team I knew we’d lose. In fact I was vociferous on here minutes after the Madrid game to say it had cost us the FA Cup.

If you’ve signed a keeper as a number two and promised him the domestic cup games to keep him motivated, you are an idiot of a manager if you don’t keep your word. That is obviously what has happened here as happens always.

Wtf? Unless I’m missing something are they seeking offence at two lads scratching their balls?
I think the woman shouts "always the victims" twice. Barely worth a mention really, however they've gone into full morality mode so anything they can do to show our fans in a bad light is gleefully pounced upon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.