Russian invasion of Ukraine

Always saw this thread popping up and avoided clicking on it until today, for some reason. Wish I hadn't bothered.

I'm in Russia right now. Married to a Russian woman, who was born in Ukraine and has family dotted all over the place, all against what's happening and desperate for it to be over. Her dad's a military veteran, and he's the sweetest guy I've ever met, a wonderful person who makes wooden toys in his spare time for local kids and brings us homemade soup each week. I've seen Russian soldiers, too, a shocking majority of whom are frightened or naive young men, barely out of their teens, with minimal training, pushed into the military life by the macho culture that prevails over here and the utterly in-tatters economy, most of whom hadn't got a clue where they were even being sent when all this kicked off and/or had been brainwashed into thinking they were helping people. And I've seen parents here who are broken and don't even know that their sons are in Ukraine until they get a call saying that they've been killed.

The whole thing is an atrocity, do not get me wrong, and I am in no way defending any of Russia's actions. I also agree that any scum, soldier or not, that goes around raping, murdering, or torturing people deserves whatever comes to them.

But for me, directing anger at the people at the top who kicked this off and control it is perfectly normal, directing anger at the concept of what's happening is fine, and directing anger at the absolute worst of the worst who have committed rapes and murders during these recent months, absolutely. And of course our thoughts and cares have to be with Ukraine and its people right now. Again, I don't want this at all to sound like "Oh won't someone please think of the poor Russians!"

But to blindly condemn the entire country and to find some kind of joy in seeing people blown to bits, to be unable to think of the human beings, the people who were born and raised here and joined the army thinking they were doing something good and are now caught up in this whole thing, well that's pretty damn sick, too... But to each his own I suppose.

All I hope for is that this ends as soon as possible.

Wouldn't bother replying to this as I won't return to the thread.

If you could see half of what we see on the news reels you’d be in the exact same place as us right now. 2 months ago this post would have received a lot of “here here’s” but now? Fuck Russia and all that sail in the cesspit.

I’d be interested to understand how it’s the opposite. My interpretation is to go to war over the question of being morally right (moral certainty is just a way to justify the cost of that) is to prove you are right. To only do so if you have the power to prove you are right is exactly the same premise as “might is right”.

You haven't read it properly. It is a quote from Francisco Suarez, a Jesuit priest.

Might is right says that you can use your men in a war of attrition in order to take over a small realm that has little strategic importance. The quotation says the opposite.

Always saw this thread popping up and avoided clicking on it until today, for some reason. Wish I hadn't bothered.

I'm in Russia right now. Married to a Russian woman, who was born in Ukraine and has family dotted all over the place, all against what's happening and desperate for it to be over. Her dad's a military veteran, and he's the sweetest guy I've ever met, a wonderful person who makes wooden toys in his spare time for local kids and brings us homemade soup each week. I've seen Russian soldiers, too, a shocking majority of whom are frightened or naive young men, barely out of their teens, with minimal training, pushed into the military life by the macho culture that prevails over here and the utterly in-tatters economy, most of whom hadn't got a clue where they were even being sent when all this kicked off and/or had been brainwashed into thinking they were helping people. And I've seen parents here who are broken and don't even know that their sons are in Ukraine until they get a call saying that they've been killed.

The whole thing is an atrocity, do not get me wrong, and I am in no way defending any of Russia's actions. I also agree that any scum, soldier or not, that goes around raping, murdering, or torturing people deserves whatever comes to them.

But for me, directing anger at the people at the top who kicked this off and control it is perfectly normal, directing anger at the concept of what's happening is fine, and directing anger at the absolute worst of the worst who have committed rapes and murders during these recent months, absolutely. And of course our thoughts and cares have to be with Ukraine and its people right now. Again, I don't want this at all to sound like "Oh won't someone please think of the poor Russians!"

But to blindly condemn the entire country and to find some kind of joy in seeing people blown to bits, to be unable to think of the human beings, the people who were born and raised here and joined the army thinking they were doing something good and are now caught up in this whole thing, well that's pretty damn sick, too... But to each his own I suppose.

All I hope for is that this ends as soon as possible.

Wouldn't bother replying to this as I won't return to the thread.

You are Andy Murray and I claim my 10 bob.

Sorry you can't play Wimbledon with your Russian mates.

Also in all seriousness the 'Wouldn't bother replying to this as I won't return to the thread' line is the signature move of a troll post.

Israel are losing their shit over that. Not meaning to cause offence here and I'm obviously in no way supporting anything that saggy faced prick lavrov is saying but I thought the Hitler had Jewlish blood theory was a genuine theory. Not proveable or anything but there's enough legit questions about his inbred lineage to suggest its plausible.

Israel are losing their shit over that. Not meaning to cause offence here and I'm obviously in no way supporting anything that saggy faced prick lavrov is saying but I thought the Hitler had Jewlish blood theory was a genuine theory. Not proveable or anything but there's enough legit questions about his inbred lineage to suggest its plausible.

It's a conspiracy theory without evidence used by far right groups to blame the Jews for the holocaust. In exactly the same way Lavrov is doing today.

See for example:

You haven't read it properly. It is a quote from Francisco Suarez, a Jesuit priest.

Might is right says that you can use your men in a war of attrition in order to take over a small realm that has little strategic importance. The quotation says the opposite.
I’m more of a Sun Tzu acolyte myself. I think my favourite quote from the Art of War is: “Russians are murdering cunts and nonces”

It’s the fact he’s used it to justify war crimes that I suspect irritates somewhat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.