Real Madrid (A) Post Match Thread

I'm sure we're just not destined to win it!

Pep should watch minutes 85-100 today and should realise that all our problems exist in that timeframe. First of all, it was a semi-final and Real had either to take a beating lying down, at home or they would go for it which they did. What else was anyone expecting? I didn't expect to lose the game, but I expected a very nervy end.

I think the first goal pretty much came from our corner where we kind of messed it, passed it back to Cancelo who just lumped it into the box. It was a lazy ball when the obvious thing to do was to take a short corner, frustrate them, get a thrown in and wind the clock down. I'm sure they scored within 25s or so after it.

If I'm honest, and as I've said before, I never expect us to roar back once we get into this position. As good as the team is, we don't have individuals who can drag the team back up.

The problem we have is that we've seen - every year - that one goal conceded leads to 2 far too often. I hate to say it, but the team bottles it and I know that sounds daft when we've won PL after PL. However, look last night and there were NO leaders on the pitch after the first goal went in. We didn't regroup, we didn't have anyone shouting, we didn't get anyone trying to rally the team we just cracked and bottled it. Again. Liverpool, Spurs, Monaco, Lyon and now Real Madrid - this isn't a fluke, it's what we do in the CL. It's a pattern.

I said the other week that Ederson needs a kick up the arse and last night we saw him absolutely unaware of Rodrygo. I think he needs to go back to basics and focus on being a goalkeeper for a bit. Ederson revolutionised keeping in England, but now every keeper is passing out from the back just like he does. I think he is becoming a bit lazy and - like others have said - he is almost becoming Bravo like in that he rarely 'wins' the game with saves.

I've said many times that I don't rate Cancelo as he just can't defend. It's really as simple as that, we might as well try Gundogan, Palmer or Bernardo at left back (or right back) if we play him. He's a fantastic player, providing it's not in defence. We have to find another Walker from somewhere - someone who is a defender first with pace and physical power. Walker and Zinchenko are our best full backs but we can improve on Zinchenko.

As I've said before, think back to the team that won the first PL and think how you would pick a captain from Kompany, De Jong, Barry, Tevez, Zaba or Yaya. We lack captains on the pitch. Other than Fernandinho (going) and Dias, there's no one is there? No one who's got that visceral determination. I think if we had a Kompany last night, we'd have gone through.

I thought Bernardo, Gundogan, Rodri and Grealish were superb and they didn't deserve to lose at all.

So many people are saying we need a striker, but it's not just that. If we'd have signed Haaland (or Kane) and they've bagged 5 goals over 2 games yet we let in 6 it's pointless. We need leaders on the pitch who can cope with a goal going in. The team need to be able to hunker down and take it for 10 minutes at a time and I really had hoped we'd have learnt something from our last trip to Madrid. As soon as they went ahead it was cramp this, injury that, rolling about and the rest. We learnt nothing, again.

I really don't know what else we can do, but if we keep conceding fast, sloppy goals then we will never win it. We can't keep shipping in 4+ goals over 2 legs. I do think Pep has to have a look at the mental performance of some of those players last night and think about freshening the squad. Football isn't just about passing, it's about determination, aggression, attitude, pace and sheer power sometimes and I whilst I love watching this team, a sprinkling of those attributes from back to front wouldn't go amiss.

I'm just really disappointed in the collapse - again - last night. To lose a game within 10 minutes or so is absolutely criminal.
It's a good summary and argument this mate. I think your first line sums it up really - 10m years ago we came from no chance to win the league and there is a certain symmetry with it happening to us a decade later. The difference is we were pummelling QPR but could not find a way until very late whereas last night, there was little real threat or sustained pressure. Up to 88 minutes I think most fans would think like I did that tis is a job well done, good subs and we look likely to finish the game at any time. Then out of absolutely nowhere........
I am so proud of MCFC under Pep and the way we play but I don't really buy the argument over lack of determination, lack of aggression etc. They were there in abundance at Athletico and as for leadership, I do get what you mean an respect that but I don't think it would have made much difference last night. It was a freak result. Ederson gave away possession own the field after the first but that was a good % move in my view given their energy and there's only 5 mins left - what happened after that was a fluke goal.
With Pep you get that contradiction don't you of "flawed perfection" and I for one am happy to fully buy into it. We have no God given right to win trophies but we have been regaled with trophies, beautiful football great moments, players, winning runs etc and a few fuck ups - but the crucial point is we are always there.
Onto individuals, yes Cancelo is mercurial and that would always be a risk and as said before he gave the ball away and was lax on goal one. As was Ederson - way too slow for the first goal. He needs to sharpen up quickly.
If we can get Pep to stay and bring in Haaland as well as Alvarez that's very good. But the recruitment policy needs to address weaknesses and Pep needs to use younger players much more. Young Palmer seems a rare talent to me.
A real issue with recruitment for me is the seeming need to always buy "world class" players or fans saying so and so isn't good enough for us when in fact they probably are. People like James Milner were really good squad players for us to have as is Zinch, not world beating but good enough, committed, hard working and rarely injured. We need more of that type of player in the squad and to get them when they are relatively cheap.
Hopefully the squad can ahve a good rest this summer but will end up knackered due to the WC in November but I would like to see the linger term plan given Mahrez, Gundogan, Kevin are all getting older and if its true there is no CDM purchase planned then that is a worry.
Finally, like everyone else I was just dumbstruck last night after being so happy but I remember feeling a bit bewildered after the first leg and now realise why - we should have won it by at least 2 if not 3 goals. Our attacking play was brilliant.
Anyway, let's win the league now!

Just 10 mins crazy football which knocked you guys that was it. Pep did look as down as I've ever seen him in a post interview.

Our current group of players have four games left to deliver what I and many other Blues consider to be the most important trophy.

Win the PL or not, in my opinion, significant changes are needed to update and improve the squad for next season.

On what the club and staff will have considered to be the most important night of the season, a few players demonstrated very clearly that they're either not up to it mentally, or simply aren't good enough.

Cancelo - Inconsistent, indisciplined angry little man. A very average defender whose main contribution to City has been to mask/delay the our continuing need for a proper left back.

Laporte - Just not good enough. Potentially weak character. Can't be trusted. Proved that when he opted to play for Spain when France didn't pick him. Nathan Ake is a far more reliable defender.

De Bruyne -.Went into hiding last night when most needed. Completely overshadowed by the RM midfielders. Certainly nothing like a leader and shouldn't be anywhere near the captain's armband. World class? Not any more he's not. We'll be lucky to get one more good season out of him. I’ve said it before; Ward-Prowse would be a great replacement, and would flourish at City.

Sterling - Time to go. One good game in ten, rarely looks like he's interested. His cameo last night may well have been his last game, he was weak and shockingly poor. Cole Palmer would have been a better option.

Mahrez - Cash in if clubs are offering good money.

Jesus - Another angry little man. Just not good enough against strong, organised defences. Needs to move abroad to improve his game, because it's not developed in the PL.

Bernardo Silva - The bloke is either becoming too good for City, or City aren't good enough for him
If a few players matched his workrate and showed half his passion for the game, we'd have won the CL for the last two seasons and be looking at a third this month.
He would be running the show at a club like RM, and would most likely win both the CL and Ballon d'or within two years.
The best footballer at City by miles. If we don't strengthen the squad considerably in the summer, he could/should be looking for a move.

Foden, Grealish - Not ready for top level yet. Very raw and need another year or two to develop. Foden has been overplayed, Grealish has been overwhelmed by the big move.

Ederson - The Curate's egg. Good in parts (distribution), less good in others (shot stopping). He's been lucky to be playing behind a team who dominate possession in the PL.
That said, there are few better than him at what he does and he fits in for Pep. That's why he'll still be with us next season

Anyone who thinks Haaland is the missing piece in the current squad could be in for a nasty shock. We need fresh young blood, players with genuine hunger and strongmentality, to maintain current levels and improve on them in the next three years.

Is Pep the man to lead the change? If the club still wants to prioritise the CL, I'm genuinely not sure he is. Change is necessary at player level next season imo, and it's going to take someone with fresh ideas, who's likely to be around for longer than two or three years, and doesn't have a monkey on his back.

Ive been disappointed with Laporte over the two legs, obviously the 2 goals at our place and getting himself booked first ten minutes last night. Stupid push on Modric was ill disciplined, Pep would've been furious at that.
Just no need. Playing into Benzema's hands

not a single player/players management team still not posted anything on social media yet? Done within seconds after a win. Cowards.

That wasn't the claim. Why would players who used to play for us and have their own pretty poor moments in Europe come in and sort this team out?
Apart from Kompany I said players of that type,aggressive and with a dose of street-smarts that can pull the same
tricks as Real late in a game.

Our current group of players have four games left to deliver what I and many other Blues consider to be the most important trophy.

Win the PL or not, in my opinion, significant changes are needed to update and improve the squad for next season.

On what the club and staff will have considered to be the most important night of the season, a few players demonstrated very clearly that they're either not up to it mentally, or simply aren't good enough.

Cancelo - Inconsistent, indisciplined angry little man. A very average defender whose main contribution to City has been to mask/delay the our continuing need for a proper left back.

Laporte - Just not good enough. Potentially weak character. Can't be trusted. Proved that when he opted to play for Spain when France didn't pick him. Nathan Ake is a far more reliable defender.

De Bruyne -.Went into hiding last night when most needed. Completely overshadowed by the RM midfielders. Certainly nothing like a leader and shouldn't be anywhere near the captain's armband. World class? Not any more he's not. We'll be lucky to get one more good season out of him. I’ve said it before; Ward-Prowse would be a great replacement, and would flourish at City.

Sterling - Time to go. One good game in ten, rarely looks like he's interested. His cameo last night may well have been his last game, he was weak and shockingly poor. Cole Palmer would have been a better option.

Jesus - Another angry little man. Just not good enough against strong, organised defences. Needs to move abroad to improve his game, because it's not developed in the PL.

Bernardo Silva - The bloke is either becoming too good for City, or City aren't good enough for him
If a few players matched his workrate and showed half his passion for the game, we'd have won the CL for the last two seasons and be looking at a third this month.
He would be running the show at a club like RM, and would most likely win both the CL and Ballon d'or within two years.
The best footballer at City by miles. If we don't strengthen the squad considerably in the summer, he could/should be looking for a move.

Foden, Grealish - Not ready for top level yet. Very raw and need another year or two to develop. Foden has been overplayed, Grealish has been overwhelmed by the big move.

Ederson - The Curate's egg. Good in parts (distribution), less good in others (shot stopping). He's been lucky to be playing behind a team who dominate possession in the PL.
That said, there are few better than him at what he does and he fits in for Pep. That's why he'll still be with us next season

Anyone who thinks Haaland is the missing piece in the current squad could be in for a nasty shock. We need fresh young blood, players with genuine hunger and strongmentality, to maintain current levels and improve on them in the next three years.

Is Pep the man to lead the change? If the club still wants to prioritise the CL, I'm genuinely not sure he is. Change is necessary at player level next season imo, and it's going to take someone with fresh ideas, who's likely to be around for longer than two or three years, and doesn't have a monkey on his back.
Fucking hell. Read that back then have a couple days in bed you daft sod.

Try to be honest here, would you have made the same assessment had we made the final? Or would you still believe that to be true. If you regard the PL to be the most important trophy, and we're 4 wins away from winning it for the 6th time in 10 years why such the ruthless assessment?

Unlucky. Admittedly I dont watch a lot of you guys but I've never really been impressed with Laporte. Seems like he has tendencies to lose concentration or do something stupid in a high stakes game. The ref was a bit shit too ngl. These continental teams seem to always get a bit of favouritism from what I see but thats my opinion.

Unfortunately I can see Liverpools attack/press being too much for this Real team and them winning it. Genuinely been saying if its not you guys in the final then Liverpool will win. Not a fan of Real Madrid but would prefer them to win it over Liverpool. Not ready to deal with Pool fans and the pundits jacking off "the best team that will ever exist" if Liverpool wins.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.