31 | Ederson - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steffen is not competition and Ederson knows it. That is what I'm saying. Sell Steffen and get someone in who is actually good enough to make Ederson think he has a chance of losing his place so he works harder on his flaws.
Steffen was and still is. There aren't many keepers available for that job. A goalkeeper who has just played League 1 Football isn't capable and could do with another loan out regardless of how many caps he has got.

Frustrating one, is Eddie. Shot stopping isn't his forte, there's a certain irony in that the one trait goalkeepers are renowned for is something with which he's positively weak. But his style is integral to the way Pep has engineered this team. His calmness to play out from the back is something we aren't going to find with any other keeper; he's effectively a midfielder playing in goal. And we know how much Pep loves his midfielders.

It's about taking the rough with the smooth, and personally I feel his strengths considerably outweigh his weaknesses.

I wouldn’t class any of them you’ve mentioned as howlers. He’s a high risk keeper, how many proper errors has he made over the course of the season? Hardly fuck all. People were on his back when Benzema scored his first at the etihad a few weeks ago, the shot hit the post and went in! He’s great in the air, no better keeper in the world football at play out from the back and he’s normally a reliable shot stopper. I’m not going to say he hasn’t let a few in recently which he should have saved, but I just think people are looking to much into it. For me, replacing him would be madness as he’s a Pep keeper and I just don’t see the need in getting rid of him and spunking millions getting another keeper in.
It’s not a few and it’s not recently. Don’t want him replaced, I want our keeper to save shots. Isn’t an awful lot to ask is it. If teams scoring on him from about 40 yards out and quite a few times isn’t howlers and against our rivals away I’m unsure what is then. Also Dortmund where he wrongly got a free kick when he fucked up and Bellingham scored. They don’t need to be howlers but I’m sick of thinking he could have done better there.

Eddie needs to lighten up. Go a bit Joe Hart. And for the first time since he signed for City acknowledge the fans when we chant his name. It might relax him a bit. We’d certainly appreciate it.

Last edited:
It’s not a few and it’s not recently. Don’t want him replaced, I want our keeper to save shots. Isn’t an awful lot to ask is it. If teams scoring on him from about 40 yards out and quite a few times isn’t howlers and against our rivals away I’m unsure what is then. Also Dortmund where he wrongly got a free kick when he fucked up and Bellingham scored. They don’t need to be howlers but I’m sick of thinking he could have done better there.
You’re picking out incidents from ages ago, he’s a high risk keeper, letting in the odd howler is going to happen. But like I said, I can’t remember the last time he made an error leading to goal.

Frustrating one, is Eddie. Shot stopping isn't his forte, there's a certain irony in that the one trait goalkeepers are renowned for is something with which he's positively weak. But his style is integral to the way Pep has engineered this team. His calmness to play out from the back is something we aren't going to find with any other keeper; he's effectively a midfielder playing in goal. And we know how much Pep loves his midfielders.

It's about taking the rough with the smooth, and personally I feel his strengths considerably outweigh his weaknesses.

Ederson is not a midfielder and shouldn't be. He should intercept balls with their hands.

Disagree. Most teams now mirror that style . How many goals have we scored from a ball launched by an Ederson long ball? Not many and yet his function as a goalkeeper is average.

I think a high number of City fans probably acknowledge that he isn't the best shot stopper in the league. But that he is fantastic with the ball at his feet. The question is, what do you want your 'keeper to be good at; pinging out long range passes, or saving goals?

You’re picking out incidents from ages ago, he’s a high risk keeper, letting in the odd howler is going to happen. But like I said, I can’t remember the last time he made an error leading to goal.

The issue with Eddie is that he fails to stop many chances which a decent keeper should save, but are not necessarily classed as howlers. Bowen’s second goal for example was a save he should be making but ended up in the back of the net.

IMO, this season has shown that Eddie is a keeper that won’t really cost us many points whereas Allison is a keeper who will actively save his side points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.