Sunday May 22nd v Villa - Minutes silence?

You're right that it's done far too often, but in this case with it being the 5th anniversary of the worst tragedy that has happened to our own city this century it would not be appropriate to ignore it.
Yes it would. There's memorial gardens at the ground, in town or dotted around greater manchester for anyone who wants to mark the anniversary.

I will be attending a small service tomorrow with a friend of mine who lost his son in the attack.

Honestly, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with this. My girlfriend was there that night - I still remember the horrific panicked phone call from her and the lasting impact of what she saw that night. Whilst we as a city will always remember and and of course mark the event on its anniversary, I'm not sure a moment before the match is the right time for it.

Honestly, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with this. My girlfriend was there that night - I still remember the horrific panicked phone call from her and the lasting impact of what she saw that night. Whilst we as a city will always remember and and of course mark the event on its anniversary, I'm not sure a moment before the match is the right time for it.

It's not the right moment, particularly with it being such a crucial match.

There will not be a fan in there on Sunday that doesn't feel appalled by what happened and that doesn't feel moved to pay respects. But this game isn't the right time to do it. We saw the press around Hillsborough and the fact fans were unaware wasn't communicated. The club didn't put that across either. We can't have that happen again.

Seen a few posts/thread asking for a raucous atmosphere. We must remember that Sunday is also the 5th anniversary of the murder of 22 innocent souls in our City. I expect there will be a minutes silence and hope the staff on the concourse advise both sets of fans accordingly.
Good point pal

Order of service should be:

1. Taking the knee
2. Announcement of 5th anniversary of this apalling tragedy in our city
3. Minutes applause (or silence if it is deemed that absolutely everyone in the stadium will keep it)
4. Playing of start of Don't Look BackIn Anger, with crowd accompaniment, fading out to...
5. Ref's whistle to start match and raucous support for our boys in blue to take their rightful places as champions again

Or maybe, just maybe, go to watch a game of football without having to be reminded of death.
I agree. I don’t know why a football match has to have a minute’s silence or applause for this. It’s got nothing to do with the game of football. If there wasn’t a game on this weekend and I was going to the cinema or the pub or doing anything else on Sunday, there wouldn’t be a minute’s silence or applause before it.

So why at the football?

I think people should just pay their respects for it when they go to the memorial. There should be a minute’s silence there every year for it at the time the bombing happened.

Order of service should be:

1. Taking the knee
2. Announcement of 5th anniversary of this apalling tragedy in our city
3. Minutes applause (or silence if it is deemed that absolutely everyone in the stadium will keep it)
4. Playing of start of Don't Look BackIn Anger, with crowd accompaniment, fading out to...
5. Ref's whistle to start match and raucous support for our boys in blue to take their rightful places as champions again
Or do none of that and just watch a game of football which is what we’re there for.

100 percent this shud be done,was a shockin day for our great city,minutes applause more suited

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.