31 | Ederson - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I agree about the way we play and the impact how can you say he had no chance of getting across for the first goal. He literally got a hand to it - the problem was it wasn't strong enough. And the second one he assumed Coutinho was putting it to his left so was flat footed. He fits our team perfectly with the way he plays but as a shot stopper he is in my opinion less than average. He commands his area well, and reads the through balls (usually) well, but he couldn't save if he was put in a bank
"but he couldn't save if he was put in a bank". What motivates someone to post that. It is not an opinion based on fact it is just a blatant falsehood. If you want facts watch some of the vast number of City's full match videos available.

I really don't want to be negative after that great title win but fuck me I have to respond to this. He is nowhere near the best goalie in Europe. He isn't even the best keeper in his own league.
Which goalkeepers do you think are better.

Which goalkeepers do you think are better.

Alisson, De Gea and Sa I'd say are better goalkeepers in this league. In Europe Courtois and Oblak. For the record I don't believe Ederson has always been a bad shot stopper. When we first signed him I thought he was amazing. I remember some amazing saves he pulled off. I just believe he has got too comfortable and complacent.

Almost every other player in our squad has competition for their spot. If Stones or Dias play shit there is Laporte and Ake to threaten their place. If Kev or Bernie play shit then Gundy is waiting. If Sterling or Mahrez play shit then there is Foden, Grealish and Gabby waiting to take their spot. If Ederson plays shit he knows for a fact that Steffen will never get picked ahead of him.

That's the problem we have with "He is perfect for our style of play." He doesn't need to work his arse off in training to work on his flaws or for his place in the squad. It is always guaranteed. Why would anyone work harder than they need to when they know their job is guaranteed?

Alisson, De Gea and Sa I'd say are better goalkeepers in this league. In Europe Courtois and Oblak. For the record I don't believe Ederson has always been a bad shot stopper. When we first signed him I thought he was amazing. I remember some amazing saves he pulled off. I just believe he has got too comfortable and complacent.

Almost every other player in our squad has competition for their spot. If Stones or Dias play shit there is Laporte and Ake to threaten their place. If Kev or Bernie play shit then Gundy is waiting. If Sterling or Mahrez play shit then there is Foden, Grealish and Gabby waiting to take their spot. If Ederson plays shit he knows for a fact that Steffen will never get picked ahead of him.

That's the problem we have with "He is perfect for our style of play." He doesn't need to work his arse off in training to work on his flaws or for his place in the squad. It is always guaranteed. Why would anyone work harder than they need to when they know their job is guaranteed?
Have you evidence to suggest he is not working hard in training. There are many people who don't share your theory that having a guaranteed job implies less need to work hard,Ederson may be one who doesn't live by your standards so let's have some proof that he isn't working hard rather than basing your criticism on your attitude to work ethics.

Have you evidence to suggest he is not working hard in training. There are many people who don't share your theory that having a guaranteed job implies less need to work hard,Ederson may be one who doesn't live by your standards so let's have some proof that he isn't working hard rather than basing your criticism on your attitude to work ethics.

The proof is he is letting in more saveable shots, shots he has previously saved for us when he first signed for the club. So if it isn't an issue with training then it's a much more serious issue as that would mean it's him declining as a player which would be a real let down.

I take it then that you're judging the best goalkeepers on their shot stopping abilities only.
Yes i agree that Edersons shot stopping has not been as good recently but only for the last few months.

What ranks him above the rest though is his all round game. His awareness of danger is excellent especially with the high line we play, always knowing when to clear the danger. He brings a calmness to the defence & ultimately his ability & composure to pass either short, to the flanks or over the top. This is so integral to the way the modern teams play when passing out from the back.

I reckon if Pep had the chance to replace Ederson with any other keeper he wouldn't do it.

I reckon if Pep had the chance to replace Ederson with any other keeper he wouldn't do it.

I am sure you are right, I don't think Pep would pick any other keeper. I'm not calling for Ederson to be sold I think he brings a lot to our team but I am also not one who will overlook him letting in soft goals just cos he can pass it about with the defenders. If Pep is happy with that then so be it but if it continues to happen then one of those soft goals could be in a key knockout game and cost us a trophy.

That space in goal is huge, much bigger than it appears on screen. I don't think he is particularly susceptible to medium range shots any more than most. That Jota goal was only 7 yards out and was more of a pass in than a hard shot, which is what he might have anticipated. The play had moved very quickly from side to side and he had to adjust his positioning a lot during the build up, he looked disappointed so maybe he thought he could have done better. A lot of goals are scored close to a keeper's body and from mishits and deflections, they might look easy to save, but you only have to stand in the goal and get somebody to shoot from 7 yards at you to appreciate how difficult it is.
On the floor and distribution he is the best,

Our defence is one of the best around and we allow so few shots. Hence he is hardly kept busy and is he sometimes off guard.

I just think there are better shot stoppers around, but maybe he wins with his overall package

Would you do a straight swap, De Gea for Ederson?

De Gea is 31 so no I wouldn't swap a younger keeper for an older one but he has been a better keeper than Ederson this year in terms of stopping the ball going in the net. Without him the rags would have finished bottom half not in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.