Premier League or Champions League?

What do you want us to win more?

• Total voters
The way I'm feeling right now the Premier league. I'm nice and relax best few days sleep I've had in weeks rather than up all night worrying if we would best wolves west ham and villa.
Don't think I would have lasted another week worrying about this final as well

I give a fuck what fans from other countries think because I am a fan from another country who have made friends for life in this community and knows others. I myself don’t have a general preference, but I know how badly every single one of them wants us win the UCL and what it means, and they can’t understand when I try to explain why English fans sometimes don’t care as much

You are kind of focusing on the extreme end of this totally hypothetical argument. And consequently turning into a bit of a footballing brexit debate. It shouldn't be and I don't think is a world/england take.

It is not that people don't want or care for the CL. Some perhaps, but most do want the club to win it. But at the expense of the PL (which is the hypothetical question), I totally understand the reluctance to hypothetically 'want' that. Particularly given the fact that is what the club have been consistently saying themselves, from board to manager.

The CL is important, and we want to and will win it. But we will always want to win the league, CL or no CL.

I’ll insist that if we’re entering Pep’s final year, the CL should be the priority as it will define the era one way or the other.

I actually can't really disagree, I see your thinking in that.

But, will never happen. The only way Pep prioritizes the CL over the PL, is if the PL is effectively won already. It would leave a bit of a bitter taste if he and the team chucked the league for a last hurrah to tick a box. And nobody would want that top to bottom at the club, including Pep.

Maybe I have been living in a bubble, but I swear on God I had never heard this forceful point against the Champions League being called that name before I joined this forum and I never heard it anywhere else since. It seems an utterly bizarre thing to concentrate on that sounds like an excuse. As someone pointed out earlier, I suppose that would have invalidated it for us had we won it last season…

It is quite a common point, it really is. Right across fans of clubs right across Europe. For example Celtic and Rangers fans will always be annoyed that they as champions have to go through 3 rounds of qualifiers while a few 4th placed teams are just in, and the same goes for Anderlecht, Apoel, and top clubs in other European teams. Heck even fans of the top 4s in the big 5 leagues tend to thi k that way whenever they aren't the club in 4th.

Ask fans of clubs in Spain, Germany, Italy, France, they would all rather win the Champions League than their leagues.

That is not even remotely true. Might be, amongst sections of fans outwith Europe, but that is purely down to how the competition is covered and sold by the media and gambling companies in those countries.

For most English fans
Of course, and do I want to win it, yes most deffinately, do I get overly dissapointed whe we don't, for a short while, the madrid game was a memory the next day, but if we had lost the game last sunday I would still be gutted and for a few days more

Cups in any country or continentally are bonuses and luck of the allotted draw/game.

League seasons are a measure of a teams cositency and class so will always come first to many.

Preferably we win it next season

Yes when I see the Etihad full on Champions League nights the first thought that comes to mind is “they don’t really want to win this".

Right, let's just remember this is a question centred on a hypothetical scenario where we get to choose what we win. There is no reality in this. Every fan of every club in every country wants to win every game in every competition.

But the question is what do you want more.

Let's imagine we won the CL this season but were 2-0 up against Villa before conceding 3 late goals and losing the title. What would hurt more? Losing to Wigan in the FA Cup final hurt more than losing to Real in the semi final of the CL. It hurt the same as the CL final loss. More perhaps because it was a late goal and it was Wigan.

The manner of victory makes a difference. If we win the CL in a comfortable manner, unfortunately it will be behind two other games on my watchlist.

We can all agree that the majority of fans still want to win the CL and it's a good thing if foreign fans of City want it more than the league. Maybe that will help drive us to achieve it.

Until we win CL, won’t truly know how it feels but the PL feels pretty good.

Interesting take, this.

We do know how it feels to lose both though, and I can definitively tell you without a shadow of a doubt which one I would less want to lose.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.