Today's shooting in America thread

You seem like a very decent person and it's such a shame you have to feal this way about your own country.

We have many problems over here at the moment, but they appear small to what it appears the USA face and will face in the future.

You could do a lot worse than come and join us on our wonderful green island.

He won’t go anywhere without a concealed gun on him, so no chance he comes here.

You seem like a very decent person and it's such a shame you have to feal this way about your own country.

We have many problems over here at the moment, but they appear small to what it appears the USA face and will face in the future.

You could do a lot worse than come and join us on our wonderful green island.
Born & raised there :-)

Only came here for Uni, but met my wife and stayed. Sibs all still in and around Manc and back regularly before COVID.

I’d take your hand off for a decent cottage in the Peak or Lake Districts!

He won’t go anywhere without a concealed gun on him, so no chance he comes here.
Now, now, let’s not start the third person character assassination nonsense with other posters. You have no idea what, or whom, you are talking about.

I’ve worked in mental health and addiction for the last 20 plus years in the USA. There’s no reasonably quick fix from that side of the equation that anyone is willing or able to pay for. The discussion about mental health or morals as a root cause is just gorilla dust. Kids and neighbors are going to keep filling up more body bags unless the access to all own and carry guns is curtailed. 18 year olds who haven’t committed a major crime can buy semi automatic high powered rifles, body armor and unlimited military grade ammunition. Law enforcement or security have no chance. Teachers have no chance. The gun lobby doesn’t even let the slightest sensible requirement pass. Im utterly sickened here. And for context, I own and am trained to use guns. They are kept locked in safes bolted to ground. Im not anti gun ownership. I’m anti gun fetishm. This year I am heavily funding any politician will to take on gun lobby politicians. Starting with Beto.

2A

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Even the meaning of the statement 'the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed' can't be agreed on. Does it relate to the 'well regulated militia' statement preceding it in that people in the militia's rights to bear arms shall not be infringed, or is the reference to 'the people' as in all citizens?

Either way 2A is here to stay, but it's a huge con and misunderstanding of history to hide behind it and use its wording to advocate few or no restrictions on firearms.
I’m a lawyer in the USA. No serious lawyer I know interprets that clause as outside the context of needing a regulated militia. Or creating a magic right to own and walk around with any and every weapon without restriction.

I’ve worked in mental health and addiction for the last 20 plus years in the USA. There’s no reasonably quick fix from that side of the equation that anyone is willing or able to pay for. The discussion about mental health or morals as a root cause is just gorilla dust. Kids and neighbors are going to keep filling up more body bags unless the access to all own and carry guns is curtailed. 18 year olds who haven’t committed a major crime can buy semi automatic high powered rifles, body armor and unlimited military grade ammunition. Law enforcement or security have no chance. Teachers have no chance. The gun lobby doesn’t even let the slightest sensible requirement pass. Im utterly sickened here. And for context, I own and am trained to use guns. They are kept locked in safes bolted to ground. Im not anti gun ownership. I’m anti gun fetishm. This year I am heavily funding any politician will to take on gun lobby politicians. Starting with Beto.
Quick Q...Does having a safe bolted to the ground preclude you from having a breakdown and going postal?

Fair play, but I think unless you have $Millions to throw at Beto (or any other politician willing to engage the gun lobby) then you are essentially pissing into the wind.

2A

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Even the meaning of the statement 'the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed' can't be agreed on. Does it relate to the 'well regulated militia' statement preceding it in that people in the militia's rights to bear arms shall not be infringed, or is the reference to 'the people' as in all citizens?

Either way 2A is here to stay, but it's a huge con and misunderstanding of history to hide behind it and use its wording to advocate few or no restrictions on firearms.
Trev, mate, you are hung up on language that has been discussed for all of its existence. Hell, even the syntax and grammar are the thing of theses!

One thing that modern language has altered is the notion of militia. It’s older meaning isn’t the same as today. The threat was from not only foreign governments, but the strength of other colonies, especially Virginia. When written, America was obsessed with the thought of their nascent freedoms being usurped by a tyrannical force, foreign OR domestic, which is why you see that phrase elsewhere.

Some my feel they could rightfully argue that the 50 state National Guards serve this militia function today, but strict constructionists would tell you that is not what the language says or meant WHEN WRITTEN, and any change to that meaning is current political creep applied over a foundational document that gave that freedom to individuals OVER the state…and they would be right, if we believed that the Founding Fathers didn't want the Constitution to mature, but they did.

However, as part of the BILL OF RIGHTS, 2A is seen as a FOUNDATIONAL CITIZEN’S RIGHT…emphasis on RIGHT…and memorialized in “shall not be infringed,” which many already believe has happened and shouldn’t have.

And here we sit…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.