It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Bringing on Zin was down to Fernandinho's first half performance. Pep moved Stones back to Centre Back, moved Cancelo to Right back and the rest is history. Cancelo is our best left back and while you cannot fault Zin's mentality and versatility he is not quite good enough to become a starter. West Ham game did highlight his weaknesses.
I'm pretty sure Pep said somewhere post match it was because Cancelo is right footed and can't go on the outside. He said that because Villa was playing compact you needed to go wide with the left foot on the left and also Sterling with the right foot on the right.

I'm pretty sure Pep said somewhere post match it was because Cancelo is right footed and can't go on the outside. He said that because Villa was playing compact you needed to go wide with the left foot on the left and also Sterling with the right foot on the right.
Pep probably had that change in in mind as well but it still didn't hide the fact that Zin hasn't nailed down a regular place (although his versatility is part of it)

Yep, I was in favour of Walker, Stones, Sterling, Ake, I like Cucurella, but I'm disappointed that we had two years to prepare for Fernandinho's departure and the best we could come up with was Phillips. He's a decent but limited player, capable of doing a job, but represents a missed opportunity imo.
But we don't know 1. if Phillips is coming and 2. what players we have or are trying to sign to replace Ferna, so factually, what opportunity was missed, I doubt the club was pretending Ferna would play forever and a replacement would appear by accident. I think sometimes we simplify the whole transfer process, it's like building a house of cards where the cards change from week to week as priorities do. If you doubt our management team just look at the mess some clubs' cards are in.

Both our full backs were too high and wide in the first half against WHU, forcing our wide forwards infield and not allowing our fullbacks to get back to cover when the ball was lost.

Whether that was intentional or not, only Pep and the team know.

The second half was better all round.
That was a factor but still there are doubts whether he is good enough going into next season (even with his cameo vs Villa). On top of that he will might want a fresh challenge along with Gabby and Raz. Especially with Cucurella in the pipeline.

I fully agree, Walker’s transfer divided opinions and he’s been incredible, yet right now we are imo over hyping Alvarez who is a completely unknown quantity. Both games against Brighton Cucurella was a standout player against the champions of England, something very little players do in the champions league never mind the premier league.
Not being funny but a football is round and a net is the same size... Alvarez isn't being overhyped imo... the lad is an absolute baller who knows where the net is and at such a young age is already becoming a feature in the Argentina national set up, we've got an absolute fuckin steal with that lad for what we've paid.

Pep probably had that change in in mind as well but it still didn't hide the fact that Zin hasn't nailed down a regular place (although his versatility is part of it)
Oh I agree with you. For me the reason why he played Cancelo mostly this season on the left was because he's better all around and it was a better balance for the team. Although Cancelo not the best defender, he has more pace to get back on counter attacks while having good skills on the ball to play out from the back. However, there are times where Pep wants the left footer on the left to create more width. If Cucurella does come, I'll be happy.

Oh I agree with you. For me the reason why he played Cancelo mostly this season on the left was because he's better all around and it was a better balance for the team. Although Cancelo not the best defender, he has more pace to get back on counter attacks while having good skills on the ball to play out from the back. However, there are times where Pep wants the left footer on the left to create more width. If Cucurella does come, I'll be happy.
I'll still Love Zin and can't say he hasn't made a contribution

The guy I was replying to was basing his opinion one on 45 minute substitute appearance so fair’s fair tbh
No the guy was not basing his opinion on 45 minutes, he was saying that Pep's introduction of Zinchenko indicated to any open minded person that he felt Zinchenko was the man for the job on the day as opposed to villifying him imo in an ott way "horror show" for the West Ham game. You missed the subtlety despite putting a ? at the end of my first sentence and you failed to acknowledge my, imo reasonable suggestion that Pep likes to use a different type of full back. For context your reference to an arguable "horror show" at West Ham is hardly the basis of an opinion on his career any more than his most recent 45 minutes is.

Last edited:
Bringing on Zin was down to Fernandinho's first half performance. Pep moved Stones back to Centre Back, moved Cancelo to Right back and the rest is history. Cancelo is our best left back and while you cannot fault Zin's mentality and versatility he is not quite good enough to become a starter. West Ham game did highlight his weaknesses.
You are correct imo up until you made no mention of the significant contribution Zinchenko made to the historic comeback. I find it hard to believe a knowledgable poster like you could omit mention of his performance. The West Ham game highlighted many weaknesses of many players, but in the very rare games where he plays in a team that draws or loses, he is the first to have the blame heaped on him, lucky for him we don't lose too many games when he plays and he doesn't score og's or miss penalties.

That was a factor but still there are doubts whether he is good enough going into next season (even with his cameo vs Villa). On top of that he will might want a fresh challenge along with Gabby and Raz. Especially with Cucurella in the pipeline.
There are doubts amongst supporters but maybe not so much Pep who tends to prefer a "horses for courses" approach as he showed when calling on Zinchenko for his 28th "cameo" of the season when a change was needed on Sunday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.