Metrolink to / from Etihad

Concerts at Arena, Parklife, Etihad and the real Old Trafford so Metrolink having to rearrange to fit them all in.

Came home from work at 4 and at St Peters sq it was

Etihad 3 mins
Ashton 7 Mins
Etihad 11 mins

So 3 trams to the ground within 11 minutes and that was well before the gig started and with major events also on the Bury and Altrincham line, seemingly all lines with double units too.

Not sure how they managed it but shows it can be done and it's hard to understand why they struggle to operate a decent match day service on days when there is just the one major event going on.

Genuine question from a first time visitor to Manchester next season.
If I was staying in Manchester in, say around piccadily, Could I just walk to and from the stadium without any issues? Maps says it's a 2.5km ( approx 30min) walk which wouldn't be a problem for me?
Do a lot of fans walk in from Greater Manchester to the stadium?
Reading this thread gives me the impression that trying to get public transport is a lot harder than it should be.
Thanks in advance.

If I was staying in Manchester in, say around piccadily, Could I just walk to and from the stadium without any issues? Maps says it's a 2.5km ( approx 30min) walk which wouldn't be a problem for me?
Reading this thread gives me the impression that trying to get public transport is a lot harder than it should be.
Thanks in advance.

Yes. Just walk from the centre of town if you are able. I do it every game.

Thanks in advance.
It's an easy walk. If you go via the Northern Quarter and Ancoats there are lots of great pubs and bars you can stop off in on the way.

Thanks in advance.
Easy walk - you can follow the road or can do a scenic route along the canal. Just watch out for Jack The Dipper!

Thanks in advance.
Very walkable but you might want to give it a miss in the winter months & get the 216 bus from Picc gardens for a couple of quid, drops you right outside the campus & buses return from the opposite side of the road after the match back into town, just don’t leave on 80 minutes to get the return or you’ll get lynched!

Thanks in advance.
If it’s a fine day, a walk along the canal is a very pleasant way to get to the stadium. Not so good if it is pouring down. It used to be better as there was a bar about half way along. Unfortunately it has now closed.

Metrolink gets a lot of unjustified criticism. It is no problem getting to the ground than getting away. It is often better to get a tram at St Peters’ Square than from Piccadilly Gardens or the Station.

Getting away is more if a problem as most want to travel within a short period of time rather than arriving over a two-hour window.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.