England v Hungary | Nations League | Tues 14th June '22

I think the problem with Southgate is he doesn't know his best starting 11 or even formation. He is also hampered by a lack of decent left backs, centre backs and keeper.

Maguire should be nowhere near the side but is there by the process of elimination as the likes of Coady, Mings, Guehi etc are utter gash. Walker is by far the best defensive right back we have and Stones the best centre half so both should start. Rice is the best of a bad bunch of CDM so should start. Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale are all as bad as each other so it's a toss up who starts. No decent left back or CB to play with Stones. Who plays in midfield alongside Rice is debatable although I would go with Phillips as there is a lack of alternative. Three in front would be Foden, Grealish and Sterling with Kane up front and only because, again, there is nothing currently better. a 4 2 3 1 formation.

I think the problem with Southgate is he doesn't know his best starting 11 or even formation. He is also hampered by a lack of decent left backs, centre backs and keeper.

Maguire should be nowhere near the side but is there by the process of elimination as the likes of Coady, Mings, Guehi etc are utter gash. Walker is by far the best defensive right back we have and Stones the best centre half so both should start. Rice is the best of a bad bunch of CDM so should start. Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale are all as bad as each other so it's a toss up who starts. No decent left back or CB to play with Stones. Who plays in midfield alongside Rice is debatable although I would go with Phillips as there is a lack of alternative. Three in front would be Foden, Grealish and Sterling with Kane up front and only because, again, there is nothing currently better. a 4 2 3 1 formation.

I doubt he would go with 3 city players behind Kane, probably afraid of being called out for favouritism having 3 players from the same club. Shame though, They are all at the best club in the country for a good reason.

Plus we know he doesn’t seem to fancy Grealish too much, dunno why. When he was on in the Germany and Italy games, it was the only time in these last 4 games that we looked like we might carve out some chances.

Not even sure how keen he is on Foden either.

If you built a team around Grealish, Foden, Sterling and Kane as your 4 attacking players, you would probably put the fear of god into opposition defenders before they step foot on the pitch.

Southgate tried to go away from his nature in this game and play an attacking team, that's what everyone wants but you can't do that with players that haven't played together and with right backs at left back. City and Liverpool both play a similar way, first things first he needs to build tactics around those players. He should be regularly at City and Liverpool's training complexes getting some information and then feeding that into his squad. This is along the same lines that Spain and Germany followed when they won titles and also how Italy did it. The ethos for these guys in their clubs is to keep the ball and press with intensity when they don't have it. But when they play for England they are keeping the ball but for no reason, hoping individual skills will get them through it.

I doubt he would go with 3 city players behind Kane, probably afraid of being called out for favouritism having 3 players from the same club. Shame though, They are all at the best club in the country for a good reason.

Plus we know he doesn’t seem to fancy Grealish too much, dunno why. When he was on in the Germany and Italy games, it was the only time in these last 4 games that we looked like we might carve out some chances.

Not even sure how keen he is on Foden either.

If you built a team around Grealish, Foden, Sterling and Kane as your 4 attacking players, you would probably put the fear of god into opposition defenders before they step foot on the pitch.

I think he likes Foden but he keeps getting injured - he missed most of the euros, and most of the last matches, plus the Iceland idiocy.
It's working out how to get a team plan which gives him space to do his stuff. As Kane and Sterling are first choices, there's sometimes only the one place open.

I think he likes Foden but he keeps getting injured - he missed most of the euros, and most of the last matches, plus the Iceland idiocy.
It's working out how to get a team plan which gives him space to do his stuff. As Kane and Sterling are first choices, there's sometimes only the one place open

I think that part of Phil's problem is that he is so used to play with best players and used to teammates always on the right position - which is not in England team... everyone running like headless chicken :P

I think that part of Phil's problem is that he is so used to play with best players and used to teammates always on the right position - which is not in England team... everyone running like headless chicken :P

Certainly there are fewer options for him, yes. I'd have thought much of the problem is that there aren't that many in support, headless or otherwise.

In the interview it sounds like SG thought the team's mentality and his brilliant tactics were the reasons why England played like a proper team during the last 20 min vs Germany and the game vs Italy...

And he did not know why it did not continue in the last match LOL...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.