Do you support the RMT?

Why quote just “nurses”, shouldn’t use emotive words to make your point on this thread so I was told anyway.
Well you said they are super rich because they've done something to benefit our lives. I gave you an example of a highly skilled yet physically demanding job that takes years of training that actually saves lives. There has been examples of these nurses having to use food banks themselves. Massive profits being stockpiled by the greedy and selfish super rich owners of energy companies, rail, Amazon etc who expect everyone else to saddle the burden of sky high costs yet don't want to relinquish a fare share of the money these people have made for them. I'm ecstatic some have unions to fight for them because if we didn't we'd be on the brink of modern slavery.
I went in Tesco today, their own brand medium 800g loaf was 70p. Pretty sure that same loaf was around 45p a month ago. So we are living right now where everyday people working all the hours they can are simply struggling to buy food, energy and fuel, the profits are not being shared with those who are responsible for making those profits

Screenshot_2022-06-23-11-36-46-898_com.twitter.android.jpg

Oh and it's not only about Pay, it's about quality of life too.

The network rail guy was on the news earlier saying they’d agree to no compulsory redundancies if the union will agree to changes in working practices. He specifically highlighted that different multi skilled teams won’t travel to sites in the same van for example, have to be their own vans. So you send 6 blokes to do a job in 6 vans… which by any normal thought process is bonkers. Is that right?

He also said if you can help reduce costs they can move on the money.

Sounds like if the unions will agree to some changes in practice you will get a solution.

It looks like the Tories are blocking any of us reaching a solution.

With all due respect, your objections to the RMT industrial action appear to be informed by an extremely simplistic and naive world view. You might wish to bow and scrape like some latter-day serf in gratitude for a few crumbs from the master's table. However, with an 89% mandate for strike action, clearly, the rail workers do not.
Before embarking on a Daily Mail inspired union-bashing rant, you might wish to consider what the labour movement has achieved in the last 100 years. Do you really believe that concessions such as a minimum wage, maternity and paternity rights, pension provision, holiday and sickness entitlements and safe working conditions have been freely given by employers? No, they've all had to be fought for and won as a consequence of trade union action.
You're free, of course, to express a view that this dispute is exclusively about pay. However, like the right-wing press, you'd be wrong. With a little effort, it's possible to find plenty of information concerning a much broader set of grievances such as plans to close practically all ticket offices by 2025 as part of a total restructure of station staffing which will result in the loss of almost 1,000 jobs and a significant compromise in safety standards for passengers and employees.
On the issue of Mick Lynch, I certainly don't agree with him on all matters (Brexit being an obvious example) but you'd have to be an imbecile not to acknowledge that he has, thus far, dealt with all-comers in the media very effectively. Admittedly, that job was made easier this week by the likes of Piers Moron who spent around three minutes inferring that Lynch was some kind of master criminal bent on world domination simply because his Twitter image is that of the Hood from Thunderbirds!
So, if you're content to view this dispute through Tory blue coloured spectacles, fill your boots mate.
Never go full Mick Lynch!

Top post.

Are those numbers right, I’d have thought evasion would have been higher than avoidance?

On the progressive tax, it’s only 60% for a few within that specific bracket and you’d hope most would be savvy enough to offset it from pension contributions. Personally, even though I’m in it, I’d absolutely advocate a higher tax bracket over 100k and increase the percentage that is there for the existing additional rate. I know I’m in a minority in that group though!

Tax evasion isn’t as much a problem as people think … same with benefit fraud. Eradicating them won’t make a shit of difference in the overall scheme of things…but it plays to the audience so politicians on either side of the spectrum aren’t fussed about the actual facts of it all.

Since IR35 I pay about 52% of my income in tax as I am treated as both an employee and employer (probably a bit more since the NI hike). Don’t get sick pay or holiday pay, have no job security or benefits. 50% is about fair I’d say, so I’m content with what I currently pay.

Can I ask you therefore, if they are are so good why has there been a 70 % decline in Union membership since the 1970’s
Without wishing to patronise you with a history lesson, I'd say the following.
It is undeniable that trade unions have seen falling membership in not just the UK but across most advanced economies in the last 25 years though this isn't as true in the public sector. In part, this is attributable to a decline in large-scale manufacturing since the Thatcher administration. More significant, however, is the fact that employers have been far less likely to recognise unions - particularly in relation to collective bargaining - since the introduction of legislation by various conservative governments intended to constrain and frustrate trade union activities. Between 1980 and 1993, there were six Acts of Parliament which increasingly restricted unions' ability to undertake lawful industrial action. Employers suddenly found they could gain injunctions from the High Court to stop unions undertaking strikes if there was even the remotest doubt as to their legality. Legislation also interfered with the running of unions' internal affairs by compelling certain forms of election for executive committees and general secretaries, irrespective of the traditions of individual unions. Well, you did ask.
Notwithstanding this, TU membership has seen a year on year rise recently with in excess of 200,000 new members since 2017. I've no idea what sources you're using but you may find the following extract taken from a government study published in May 2021 interesting.
UK trade union membership levels among employees have risen in each of the past four years (by 17,000 in 2017, 103,000 in 2018, 91,000 in 2019 and 118,000 in 2020) to reach 6.56 million in 2020. Employee membership levels have therefore fully recovered from the large drop of 267,000 in the year to 2016 when membership levels among employees fell to a record low of 6.23 million.

Last edited:
They are greedy bastards. Selfish vermin. They have had a good run, it’s time we went after them. It’s time the people demanded it. It’s not as if the cunts will be living on pot noodles and beans. They might need to cut down on buying super yachts with helipads, the poor bastards. How with they cope?

They are greedy bastards. Selfish vermin. They have had a good run, it’s time we went after them. It’s time the people demanded it. It’s not as if the cunts will be living on pot noodles and beans. They might need to cut down on buying super yachts with helipads, the poor bastards. How with they cope?
But we can't do that because they'll all flee taking their wealth with them.

Yet it is workers withholding their labour that are holding the country to ransom.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.