Raheem Sterling | Joins Chelsea for £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Chelsea really a threat to us like that? I mean, Europe is different, but domestically, and given the circumstances at their club, they are in a rebuild phase. I doubt they'd challenge for anything for a couple years at least.
Agreed - I think that I saw a post earlier in this thread expressing an opinion that they may make the top 4 - but they will not really be pushing us for 1st - and I agree with that.

Ask me (and I think most other CITY fans) 2 summers ago, last summer or this summer - would they prefer Raheem or Haaland as the person getting those chances - then the answer would have been emphatic.

Having such views should not see posters being labelled as 'haters' - they just are CITY fans first and foremost and everything else a long way 2nd

Last edited:
You are perfectly entitled to your opinion about players but whether you like it or not - you can’t ignore the facts & stats. Sterling’s stats are extremely good & the impact ge has had on our success is indisputable. He may miss some one on ones but that’s because he’s always there for the opportunity. I’ll miss his pace & the fear he caused our opponents.

Both he & Jesus are v good players but Sterling is more than that
To be fair mate love Raz to bits for what he's done, but his game has regressed a bit more than missing some one on ones.

He owes us nothing. He's come here, gotten tonnes of abuse because of it and has been integral to our success. It's a shame he won't be getting a send off. The lad is one of the best players to wear the shirt.

But... He is past his peak and has been regressing for a while. Add to the mix he wants to sign to a direct rival. It's a shame to see it end like this but we'll make our money back on his fee and likely replace him with a hungrier player.
I always felt that he was never lauded as the great English poster boy because he left the dippers for us and suffered from the media abuse. Maybe he felt way this too.
I think it is the correct decision by both player and club for him to move on. I don't agree he is past his peak at 27.
I am sure with a new challenge he will be back to his best but it does require that move to happen.

I have like many others found him frustrating and then at times can be so exhilarating. Going to a team that doesn't have to contend with low blocks against them every game will help him

I wish him well and will gladly give him a well deserved reception when he returns for our last home game!

Yes, very much so, as I've tried to tell people that are expecting a change in style and crosses flung in like we have Andy Caroll. He scores more from passes played across the 6 yard box from and underlap than wide crosses.

It's true that the clips you see of Haaland are the spectacular goals where he thunders it from outside the box. Or where he uses his strength and speed to muscle his way in. But that's simply a reflection of the skewed process of what people want to watch on Youtube. Nobody gets very excited about tap-ins. But they are every bit as important as any other kind of goal, obviously.
I'd actually like to see a compilation of all Raz's many goals for us, to see exactly how many are tap-ins. I don't think it's an illusion that most are, but I'd still like to see it.

Because he doesn't tackle as much as you like? Seems a very one dimensional outlook, to completely ignore all the positives he brings to the side.
Sorry - I still feel that I am entitled to hold - and indeed express - my opinion

I cannot 'be dishonest' - I will be glad to see him leave CITY

That does not mean in anyway I dislike him - do not recognise a contribution - or hate him etc.

Which some posters (not meaning you) seem to have a need to suggest my views do mean that

As people seem to like comparisons............

The only other player - over the many decades I have been following CITY - that has caused me similar frustration was Richards - who was so often was found out of position and only casually jogging back as the opposition were setting up scoring positions from the part of the pitch he should have been covering

I did not hate him either - but certainly prefer to see Walker and other current options in that position

Last edited:
He owes us nothing. He's come here, gotten tonnes of abuse because of it and has been integral to our success. It's a shame he won't be getting a send off. The lad is one of the best players to wear the shirt.

But... He is past his peak and has been regressing for a while. Add to the mix he wants to sign to a direct rival. It's a shame to see it end like this but we'll make our money back on his fee and likely replace him with a hungrier player.
I always felt that he was never lauded as the great English poster boy because he left the dippers for us and suffered from the media abuse. Maybe he felt way this too.

Great post mate - sums up a lot of peoples’ view I think.

For whatever reason, he looks to have lost a bit of interest over the past 18 months but he’s been a phenomenal player for us and worked his way through a ton of abuse, which was at least partially media-driven. This genuinely appears to be a deal which suits both club and player and he deserves to leave on good terms.

To be fair mate love Raz to bits for what he's done, but his game has regressed a bit more than missing some one on ones.
Depends on the circumstances - Raz needs to be playing regularly & was very much injury free. Dropping him definitely dented his confidence & I reckon he could feel the animosity from some of the fans. He’s a brave guy & this has possibly made up his mind for him. He’s great for England & I’m sure he’ll be great for Chelsea. I just hope we’re not ruing the decision in January

Sorry - I still feel that I am entitled to hold - and indeed express - my opinion

I cannot 'be dishonest' - I will be glad to see him leave CITY

That does not mean in anyway I dislike him - do not recognise a contribution - or hate him etc.

Which some posters (not meaning you) seem to have a need to suggest my views do mean that

As people seem to like comparisons............

The only other player - over the many decades I have been following CITY - that has caused me similar frustration was Richards - who was so often was found out of position and only casually jogging back as the opposition were setting up scoring positions from the part of the pitch he should have been covering

I did not hate him either - but certainly prefer to see Johnson and other current options in that position
Fair enough, most players have an area of weakness. IMHO I just think it helps to look at the overall contribution. Not disputing that his form has dropped a but the past two seasons.

Depends on the circumstances - Raz needs to be playing regularly & was very much injury free. Dropping him definitely dented his confidence & I reckon he could feel the animosity from some of the fans. He’s a brave guy & this has possibly made up his mind for him. He’s great for England & I’m sure he’ll be great for Chelsea. I just hope we’re not ruing the decision in January
What would be circumstances that would cause us to rue the decision in January? Not being awkward, genuinely asking btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.