Riyad Mahrez reportedly in line for new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you get a player that is on all the time certainly such player would never accept a backup role. Mahrez is on the verge of becoming a backup. As talented as you can find in my opinion
I'd sooner that back up role be assigned to Palmer.

But he’s (Mahrez) got no pace at all and will be even slower each year. He would be one of the slowest in our squad. It may not be an issue if he was playing in the David Silva mould, or Gundo type role, but he’s never done that for us and plays out wide, where I think you really do need pace.
I think you are being a bit harsh! He’s not slow by any means! We dont rely on pace in the way we play anyway. We control games, nearly always play against teams camped in their own box with no space behind and his touch, close control and eye for goal suit us well. I think he’s a terrific player that gets a rough deal from a lot of City fans but more importantly so does Pep!

I'd sooner that back up role be assigned to Palmer.
Fair enough. If you think we don't need a senior rotational forward, then fine. But as currently constituted the front line has Haaland, Foden, Jack, Mahrez, Alvarez, and Palmer.

I think Jack, Phil and Mahrez will ll rotate the wide forward positions amongst them. with Phil getting the most games as he can play on either wing. While Mahrez predominantly plays right and Jack predominantly left.

Palmer and Alvarez will start out with cup games and sub appearances until they acclimate. Once they are up to speed (or perhaps show superior ability), they'd start reducing Mahrez's minutes.

But it's up to them to earn those minutes. Not expect the road to be cleared for them

Reactions: JDV
There was always going to be at least 2 of the 4 down to their last year leaving this summer. If you'd asked me who I wanted to stay, I'd have said Mahrez and Gundogan. Ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.