Bluemoon Under The Cartel's Irish Academic Microscope?

i made that point too, if he was a sociologist or even psychologist then i would have given it more credence

the point of evidence based research that i made stands, academics do not have to be the brightest, but they need to prove that it is evident based and peer reviewed. otherwise it is baseless nonsense

whilst being true to a point, evidence based research is vital for society whether that being in health or other areas.

the author of the research would know that reputational damage can happen and i suggest that may have been his aim seeing as though his evidence was based on posts on a football forum. as somebody who is heavily involved in research i find there "findings" laughable and frankly quite ridiculous.

to be fair it is possibly a quite legitimate research question, however it looks like to me that they had already decided the findings before the research was done and all they did was back up their assumptions.

how shit gets on your shoes is a legitimate research question, one that could provide some quite fascinating results.
I'll relay your comments to the eminent professor - he's a Gillingham supporter btw

Anyone remember Sheffield Uni doing a hatchet job ? These clowns have just nicked it, took out the bit about the Council being ripped off by City for land and printed it as their own.

It's like all these students that come on here getting us to do all the work with a 'just a few questions for my dissertation'. Fuck off and get a job instead of studying Japanese Origami Techniques 1540 - 1722.

Never did like swots.

Anyone remember Sheffield Uni doing a hatchet job ? These clowns have just nicked it, took out the bit about the Council being ripped off by City for land and printed it as their own.

It's like all these students that come on here getting us to do all the work with a 'just a few questions for my dissertation'. Fuck off and get a job instead of studying Japanese Origami Techniques 1540 - 1722.

Never did like swots.

Or dippers

Never did like swots.

or rags

Never did like swots.

or gooners

Never did like swots.

or chavs

Never did like swots.

or UEFA

For "sportswashing" to work surely it's got to have an impact on the wider community. Not just members of one football club forum.

Maybe for their research to be meaningful they need to go on a few scouse, gooner or rag forums to see if the takeover has had an overall positive effect.

Or. Maybe even look outside the football club forum world and see what impact it has had on the wider community.

The fact they haven't done that is telling.
I work in and around this area of research, and this has always been what has pissed me off about the term.

We know that countries use sport for soft power and image reputation. We also know that it rarely "launders" a reputation. No one came away from Beijing 2008 saying "wow, that Chinese government sure has a good human rights record" but they probably did think, if they didn't think it already, "wow, China has a lot of money, a lot of power, and is now a serious player on the world stage". If you want to make the world think you're a good country, I can't think of a worst thing to do than buy a football club where, by definition, most other people will have a longstanding and extremely passionate dislike of you. If you want to open up new trade possibilities, build brand ecosystems, diversify a stock portfolio, and show the world how powerful you are...well that's something else entirely. But are those things "laundering" your human rights records? Does the UAE care what the world thinks about its human rights records? I don't know.

I still think the whole notion of sportswashing when it comes to City is nonsense. The Abu Dhabi involvement with City has pushed UAE human rights issues far more into the media. Similarly would any major media outlet report on UAE’s involvement in Yemen as an issue if not for Sheikh Mansour owning City? If anything the issues are given far bigger media attention.

I don’t believe that ADUG bought City as a sportswashing exercise, I do think it’s part of a broad expansion of asset holdings for a country that knows that fossil fuels bring in big revenues now but the clock is ticking. They have deep cash reserves but those funds need to be invested now. Sheikh Mansour will ultimately be one of the few football club owners that make money from their investment.

Dublin University you say …… I rest my case
Dublin Poly more like.

The long established Universities in Dublin are Trinity College (founded in 1592) and University College Dublin (1854).

Dublin City University was founded in 1975 as the National Institution for Higher Education Dublin and was raised to University status in 1989.

There is also Dublin Institute of Technology (1887) and Maynooth University (1795).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.