Old Maine Road photos thread

Class that was at them games, remember Wimbledon game first game of season and while the match was on a mob of Chelsea turned up as they had an earlier kick off at Highbury. Good old days.
Yeah quite a few Chelsea boys turned up and we could see them outside the ground while it was going on.
They fucked off pretty quickly because after the game we didn't see any of them..
The good old days eh..

Wow! That picture takes me back. As a kid I played football for Openshaw Lads Club / Crossley House. We won the league one year. It was arranged for Stan Ogden, Getty Booth and Len Fairclough to come to the club and present the medals to the team. They eventually turned up two hours late and all absolutely bladdered. They made right arseholes of themselves then fucked off after about 15 minutes. As they say: you should never meet your heroes…

Wow! That picture takes me back. As a kid I played football for Openshaw Lads Club / Crossley House. We won the league one year. It was arranged for Stan Ogden, Getty Booth and Len Fairclough to come to the club and present the medals to the team. They eventually turned up two hours late and all absolutely bladdered. They made right arseholes of themselves then fucked off after about 15 minutes. As they say: you should never meet your heroes…
Stanley Ogden was your hero?

View attachment 110106
Sums up the the lack of thought that went into the ground perfectly this pic
I am no so much sure that it was lack of thought, but rather changing plans for what the stadium should be developed and look like.

When the North Stand was built, most assumed that would be the pattern for the full development of the stadium. Then a year later seats were installed.

In the end the Main Stand was retained with a new roof rather than rebuilt following the North Stand style. It was 20 years before the Platt Lane Stand was replaced following the new fashion of smaller stands with fewer seats and more executive boxes.

The final insult was the horrendous new Kippax. It was massive but had very few seats and loads of boxes. The stadium went from 63,000 capacity to just over 30,000 in the process. It was conceived during the Swales era but built after his departure.

Not only was the ground small (even after squeezing the Gene
Kelly seats in, it only accommodated around 35,000) but it was a total visual mess.

Had Maine Road not been so comprehensively destroyed, moving to Eastlands would have been a very had sell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.