Bernard Halford

Never get the fuss about him. He was a long serving employee, and that’s it. Always seemed like something of a Swales lapdog. How he became a supposed City legend is beyond me; ticket office was worse than it is now when he was responsible for it. Actually thought he started out as an Oldham fan too? (Nothing wrong with that but not the basis of City legend

Rather than a lapdog, more chief spy.

Responsible for so many bad things about the Club during his time.

City's new regime felt they needed to acknowledge his longevity without any knowledge of what he got up to.

A ****, and I don't say it lightly about someone who is passed away.

Never get the fuss about him. He was a long serving employee, and that’s it. Always seemed like something of a Swales lapdog. How he became a supposed City legend is beyond me; ticket office was worse than it is now when he was responsible for it. Actually thought he started out as an Oldham fan too? (Nothing wrong with that but not the basis of City legend)
Allowing him to collect the FA Cup was a disgrace for me, the man was at the club during a time when hundreds of thousands of pounds went missing and he knew exactly where.

His "management" of the ticket office was an utter shambles.

It's a good job the inland revenue did not go in too deep into our accounts because if they had PJ and Bernard would have done time.

What on earth our owner/Execs were thinking of is beyond me and for once they got it very wrong.

Might have mentioned this before, but when I was a kid I played for Chaddy reds 'Colts' team, thats under 16's.
I played alongside a young Carl Halford, who was Bernards son and was offered apprenticeship at City, but didn't make the cut and ended as a journeyman at Bury and Stockport.
I met up with him at a party a few years later as Bury were drawn at Anfield in the league cup. They had Dalglish, Souness, Kennedy etc and he was telling me how he fancied their chances and Pool might be a bit complacent. You might guess how that went

Bit off topic but a bit relevent?

City's new regime felt they needed to acknowledge his longevity without any knowledge of what he got up to.

"City's new regime felt they needed to acknowledge his longevity without any knowledge of what he got up to.

One time they got it very wrong, who on earth were they listening to to give him so much respect?

Allowing him to collect the FA Cup was a disgrace for me, the man was at the club during a time when hundreds of thousands of pounds went missing and he knew exactly where.

His "management" of the ticket office was an utter shambles.

It's a good job the inland revenue did not go in too deep into our accounts because if they had PJ and Bernard would have done time.

What on earth our owner/Execs were thinking of is beyond me and for once they got it very wrong.
Wow! This thread is a real eye opener for me. I never knew there was so much vitriol against him. I know Tolmie knows his onions and got connections so I won't argue the toss,because I know fuck all. Just surprised me somewhat. I knew he was always fiddling the gates, but I always put that down to Swales commands. It's interesting to get this side of the story.

My first job took me to London in the early 1980’s (in those days the job market was even more London-centric than now). The London branch was a mix of exiled Mancunians like me and people in the south east who supported City for various reasons, none of them glory hunters!). The 80’s was a pretty shit decade for City and it’s fair to say Swales was an extremely unpopular chairman. The London branch used to produce a newsletter to keep members in touch, and in the interests of free speech some of the articles were inevitably critical of Swales. Because of that the London branch was threatened with expulsion from the supporters club if any other articles criticised Swales - I recall that the branch were not prepared to be censored and we ended up being expelled from the supporters club, can’t remember how long for but I think it was a year or two. I recall that there were 2 people at the club who were particularly complicit in the expulsion of the London branch, and they were Bernard Halford and Frank Horrocks, the latter being in the position that Kevin Parker now holds. I never forgot those 2 and their role in the support of swales and their stifling of free speech; swales was a chairman who in my opinion ruined the club for decades, and it took us several more decades to recover from. Anyone who supported that clown and also stifled free speech isn’t a proper Blue in my opinion - as for lifting the fa cup, fucking hell. One other anecdote about Horrocks - I recall speaking to him in the social club after a home game, and him telling me (as someone born and bred in Manchester, City fan all my life, went to London as a 21 year old to get work) that as I lived in London I should support a London team!! Staggering attitude. Coming back to St Bernard if he ever did anything good for City I’d like to know what it was

Wow! This thread is a real eye opener for me. I never knew there was so much vitriol against him. I know Tolmie knows his onions and got connections so I won't argue the toss,because I know fuck all. Just surprised me somewhat. I knew he was always fiddling the gates, but I always put that down to Swales commands. It's interesting to get this side of the story.
The PL are currently checkin' their rule book to see if they can get us past 120 infringements.

My first job took me to London in the early 1980’s (in those days the job market was even more London-centric than now). The London branch was a mix of exiled Mancunians like me and people in the south east who supported City for various reasons, none of them glory hunters!). The 80’s was a pretty shit decade for City and it’s fair to say Swales was an extremely unpopular chairman. The London branch used to produce a newsletter to keep members in touch, and in the interests of free speech some of the articles were inevitably critical of Swales. Because of that the London branch was threatened with expulsion from the supporters club if any other articles criticised Swales - I recall that the branch were not prepared to be censored and we ended up being expelled from the supporters club, can’t remember how long for but I think it was a year or two. I recall that there were 2 people at the club who were particularly complicit in the expulsion of the London branch, and they were Bernard Halford and Frank Horrocks, the latter being in the position that Kevin Parker now holds. I never forgot those 2 and their role in the support of swales and their stifling of free speech; swales was a chairman who in my opinion ruined the club for decades, and it took us several more decades to recover from. Anyone who supported that clown and also stifled free speech isn’t a proper Blue in my opinion - as for lifting the fa cup, fucking hell. One other anecdote about Horrocks - I recall speaking to him in the social club after a home game, and him telling me (as someone born and bred in Manchester, City fan all my life, went to London as a 21 year old to get work) that as I lived in London I should support a London team!! Staggering attitude. Coming back to St Bernard if he ever did anything good for City I’d like to know what it was
Sorry to reply to my own post but I had another situation with St Bernard a long time after this. In 1999 we were playing Wigan in the play off semi final, away first leg. In those days you queued up at the ticket office for tickets for big matches. I think we had something like 1000 tickets for the match; you were allowed 2 tickets with 2 different peoples season tickets. I was about 150 to 200 in the queue and started queuing about 6 to 8 hours before the tickets went on sale. Unfortunately St Bernard deemed it unnecessary to have any stewards controlling the queue so during the day loads of Blues jibbed into the queue and it ended up that loads of us who’d been queuing for hours were going to miss out. I recall talking to (I think his name was Nathan, I found him to be a good lad) the ticket office manager and suggesting he asks Mr Halford to do something to sort the problem) - he told me that Mr Halford had gone home hours ago and that he’d phoned him at home and his response was that he definitely wasn’t coming back to the ticket office!) - after speaking to Nathan he at least used his own initiative and decided to hand out raffle tickets to everyone in the queue so at least there could be nobody else could push in). Unfortunately I got very near the front but just missed out - what Nathan did do was take the names and phone numbers of the first 50 to 100 people in the queue and said he’d do what he could to get some more tickets from players, staff etc - I got a call the next day and was told Nathan had got some more tickets and I’d been lucky in the ballot and had got 2 tickets. Again I never forgot Mr Halfords complacency and lack of interest in such a significant matter, and also never forgot Nathan’s proactiity.

Sorry to go on but seeing the man who neglected the fans when we were shit lift the fa cup and be treated like a hero when we were good really fucking pissed me off. Again I ask the question what did he do for City other than hang around and be paid for a very long time?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.