Greatest City 11 (Non-English British Isles Only)

The Colonel

The English only 11 got me thinking, and this needs more thought and delving into the past, what about a greatest 11 from the British isles (including Ireland) would you pick. Here’s my first go and I rely on my dad and his mother’s memories for some of these.

Shay Given

Gary Fleming (struggled here)
Matt Busby
Richard Dunne
Willie Donachie

Billy Meredith
Asa Hartford
Peter Doherty
Craig Bellamy

Niall Quinn
Denis Law

Not as easy as I thought.
Nods also to Jimmy McMullen who Matt Busby’s form pushed one of the great centre backs into midfield, Hendry and Dave Phillips.

The English only 11 got me thinking, and this needs more thought and delving into the past, what about a greatest 11 from the British isles (including Ireland) would you pick. Here’s my first go and I rely on my dad and his mother’s memories for some of these.

Shay Given

Matt Busby
Richard Dunne
Willie Donachie

Billy Meredith
Asa Hartford
Peter Doherty
Craig Bellamy

Niall Quinn
Denis Law

Nods also to Jimmy McMullen who Matt Busby’s form pushed one of the great centre backs into midfield, Hendry and Dave Phillips.
No Johnny Crossan, Alex Harley, Matt Grey, Bobbie Kennedy, Cliff Sear, Roy Clarke, etc. I could forgive that but missing out Roy Paul!

Shay Given

Matt Busby
Richard Dunne
Willie Donachie

Billy Meredith
Asa Hartford
Peter Doherty
Craig Bellamy

Niall Quinn
Denis Law

…………………………GIVEN

……………EWING……………DUNNE
PAUL………………………………………..…DONACHIE

……..….HARTFORD………IRELAND

MEREDITH…….…DOHERTY…….…CLARKE

……………………………LAW

Subs: DIBBLE, BUSBY, HENDRY, McMULLAN, HORLOCK, McNAB, BELLAMY, CROSSAN, QUINN

Manager: McDOWALL

Shay Given

Matt Busby
Richard Dunne
Willie Donachie

Billy Meredith
Asa Hartford
Peter Doherty
Craig Bellamy

Niall Quinn
Denis Law

To be honest I think even Gary Flemings mum was surprised at that choice :-)

Just started thinking about this one
My parameter would be from 1965

Goalies are a surprise without researching since 65 and obviously writing off 100K Macrea Shay Given just walks into the team or does he?

Update Andy Dibble and Martin Margetson both Welsh
Tommy wright -NI

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.