Bone marrow donation

stablemcfc

Last week I donated bone marrow, I signed up on the register around 7 years back.

The experience was pretty easy, I was informed by email and phone that I was a potential match, had a local blood test taken and sent off to see if I was the best match. This came back suggesting I was. A nurse then visited me for a quick mini-medical at my home.

Around 90% of people will donate via peripheral blood stem cell (PBSC), with only 10% of donations requiring to be via bone marrow harvest (BMH). I was informed that I was the lucky 10% who were being requested via BMH.

A month prior to the procedure I was required to go for a medical, as I was donating via BMH this needed to be in London as that is where they undertake the BMH - if donating via PBSC then there are other centres available around the country, including Manchester.
The medical was simply some observations (BP, heart rate, height, weight), some bloods (19 vials for me!) and an ECG.

Once this was cleared I was booked into a fancy private hospital for a 2 night stay (one night prior to procedure, and one night post procedure), with accommodation and travel provided for myself and a companion (I took my wife).
Food expenses were also provided, and if my work was unable/unwilling to provide paid leave I would also have my salary covered for time taken off (recommended 1-2 weeks for BMH donation).

The procedure was done under general anaesthetic, so a quick trip down to theatre, had a nap then woke up and wheeled back to my private room (which included Sky and BT Sports to catch the football). Over the next two days I was provided with essentially unlimited free food and drink, and my wife took some time to explore London and grab some food on the expenses.

I had minor pain over the injection sites in the pelvis, think bruising from a fall or tightness post work out - 2 days of paracetamol was plenty for me and I haven't bothered with pain relief since. The main side effect is fatigue, and given that they took the maximum amount from me I have felt a bit tired and lightheaded since the procedure - I was anaemic and have 2 weeks of iron tablets to take, with a repeat blood test in a few weeks to confirm this has settled. But all in all less than a week later and I haven't got much to moan about.

The reason I'm sharing is that this was a pretty painless thing to have to go through in the long term for me, and it can potentially save a life.
I'd highly recommend people consider signing up to a register, I used Anthony Nolan (https://www.anthonynolan.org/help-s...31027_rgd_scp_bau;donate stem cells;undefined) - typically the donors that are needed are younger males, and in particular those of ethnic minorities (Anthony Nolan only accept 16-30 y/o signing up, but other registers have varied age cut offs, e.g. Be the match accepts up to 40) - I appreciate that may well not be the demographic on here, but consider families/friends who fit the bill.

TLDR:
- I donated bone marrow via the "scary" method that only 10% will have to go through if donating, 90% donate via peripheral blood
- I barely suffered and will be back to work within a week (by choice!)
- It cost me nothing with all expenses covered
- Consider signing up to the register!

This is something close to my heart as my daughter may need a BMT sometime in the future, although we are hoping her treatment, undergone in 2022 at the Christie, will continue to work and the transplant will not be necessary.

The Anthony Nolan foundation does fantastic work and have helped a number of people I "know" through the internet to lead full lives free from life threatening diseases and conditions.

As an aside, I believe Germany mandates all its citizens to be on the AN register (or other such BM register), a very bold and forward thinking move on their part. (I do stand to be corrected on this as i'm not 100% sure)

So MR Stable, thank you on behalf of a person whose life you have probably just saved.

Last week I donated bone marrow, I signed up on the register around 7 years back.

The experience was pretty easy, I was informed by email and phone that I was a potential match, had a local blood test taken and sent off to see if I was the best match. This came back suggesting I was. A nurse then visited me for a quick mini-medical at my home.

Around 90% of people will donate via peripheral blood stem cell (PBSC), with only 10% of donations requiring to be via bone marrow harvest (BMH). I was informed that I was the lucky 10% who were being requested via BMH.

A month prior to the procedure I was required to go for a medical, as I was donating via BMH this needed to be in London as that is where they undertake the BMH - if donating via PBSC then there are other centres available around the country, including Manchester.
The medical was simply some observations (BP, heart rate, height, weight), some bloods (19 vials for me!) and an ECG.

Once this was cleared I was booked into a fancy private hospital for a 2 night stay (one night prior to procedure, and one night post procedure), with accommodation and travel provided for myself and a companion (I took my wife).
Food expenses were also provided, and if my work was unable/unwilling to provide paid leave I would also have my salary covered for time taken off (recommended 1-2 weeks for BMH donation).

The procedure was done under general anaesthetic, so a quick trip down to theatre, had a nap then woke up and wheeled back to my private room (which included Sky and BT Sports to catch the football). Over the next two days I was provided with essentially unlimited free food and drink, and my wife took some time to explore London and grab some food on the expenses.

I had minor pain over the injection sites in the pelvis, think bruising from a fall or tightness post work out - 2 days of paracetamol was plenty for me and I haven't bothered with pain relief since. The main side effect is fatigue, and given that they took the maximum amount from me I have felt a bit tired and lightheaded since the procedure - I was anaemic and have 2 weeks of iron tablets to take, with a repeat blood test in a few weeks to confirm this has settled. But all in all less than a week later and I haven't got much to moan about.

The reason I'm sharing is that this was a pretty painless thing to have to go through in the long term for me, and it can potentially save a life.
I'd highly recommend people consider signing up to a register, I used Anthony Nolan (https://www.anthonynolan.org/help-save-a-life/join-stem-cell-register?ref=google;cpc;tqix_20231027_rgd_scp_bau;donate stem cells;undefined) - typically the donors that are needed are younger males, and in particular those of ethnic minorities (Anthony Nolan only accept 16-30 y/o signing up, but other registers have varied age cut offs, e.g. Be the match accepts up to 40) - I appreciate that may well not be the demographic on here, but consider families/friends who fit the bill.

TLDR:
- I donated bone marrow via the "scary" method that only 10% will have to go through if donating, 90% donate via peripheral blood
- I barely suffered and will be back to work within a week (by choice!)
- It cost me nothing with all expenses covered
- Consider signing up to the register!
That’s an absolutely brilliant thing to do for another human. Good on you !

This is something close to my heart as my daughter may need a BMT sometime in the future, although we are hoping her treatment, undergone in 2022 at the Christie, will continue to work and the transplant will not be necessary.

The Anthony Nolan foundation does fantastic work and have helped a number of people I "know" through the internet to lead full lives free from life threatening diseases and conditions.

As an aside, I believe Germany mandates all its citizens to be on the AN register (or other such BM register), a very bold and forward thinking move on their part. (I do stand to be corrected on this as i'm not 100% sure)

So MR Stable, thank you on behalf of a person whose life you have probably just saved.
I imagine a lot of people would sign up to these sorts of things, or at least not object to being registered. I suspect it is more a lack of knowledge of this sort of thing existing, especially in the age groups they are generally looking for.

Sounds like a good idea regarding Germany if that is the case, organ donation here is opt out now as far as I'm aware - the vast majority of people on the bone marrow registers never get called up, and AN were clear throughout if I changed my mind and didn't want to proceed it was always an option to back out (but as I've hopefully made clear, it really isn't a particularly hard thing to go through from the donor side of things in the grand scheme of things).

Hope all goes well with your daughter!

Well done fella, Mrs Moon had a Stem Cell transplant 7 years ago from someone in America, the cross referencing across the world never ceases to amaze me and without people like you she'd not be here to moan at me ;)

As a slight sidenote a recipients blood group can change afterwards which I suppose is logical but mad.

Via Manchester Royal Infirmary, and their Metabolic Clinic Department which at the time I attended regularly, I registered and had a simple hip operation to donate a sample of my bone marrow to their bank for potential donation..
That was more than 30 years ago. Not heard anything since but because blood is formed in the bone then it is the root to form and identify one's DNA.

Hopefully in this modern world where DNA is hawked about there is no access to this particular bank for those that choose to sell DNA details to a growing number of inquisitive subscribers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.