Hillsborough - 35 years ago today

Terrible day. I too was at Blackburn. The anger at the stuffing we’d just witnessed was forgotten about when we got back to the coach.

A truly horrible day, but I can still recall waiting for my mates, and a Blackburn fan casually approaching before breaking the news: "I see Liverpool fans have been up to their old tricks again. Killed their own fans this time"

Obviously, that wasn't a true reflection, but back in April 1989, I didn't even bat an eyelid.

That was always Liverpool's stigma. It was just too close to Heysel for anyone to think differently.

Awful event can’t imagine a family member going to a football match and not coming home my deepest condolences to the relatives of the deceased, back in the day that could have been any club at certain grounds

A truly horrible day, but I can still recall waiting for my mates, and a Blackburn fan casually approaching before breaking the news: "I see Liverpool fans have been up to their old tricks again. Killed their own fans this time"

Obviously, that wasn't a true reflection, but back in April 1989, I didn't even bat an eyelid.

That was always Liverpool's stigma. It was just too close to Heysel for anyone to think differently.
Similar thing happened to my dad. Him and my mum had been dating for about three years. He worked a Saturday job in Stockport and used to go to my mum's house (at the time) in Cheadle afterwards. He went round that Saturday to watch the semi-final on TV and arrived at about 3.15, so after the game had been abandoned. He took one look at the TV and said "Ah, Liverpool fans not causing trouble again are they?" and my mum just went "I don't think so, something bad has happened here". They sat watching the TV as my dad's initial thoughts were quickly extinguished. In a lot of ways I'm not sure if football - or the people watching on at home - could ever be the same after that day.

Similar thing happened to my dad. Him and my mum had been dating for about three years. He worked a Saturday job in Stockport and used to go to my mum's house (at the time) in Cheadle afterwards. He went round that Saturday to watch the semi-final on TV and arrived at about 3.15, so after the game had been abandoned. He took one look at the TV and said "Ah, Liverpool fans not causing trouble again are they?" and my mum just went "I don't think so, something bad has happened here". They sat watching the TV as my dad's initial thoughts were quickly extinguished. In a lot of ways I'm not sure if football - or the people watching on at home - could ever be the same after that day.
There were 2-3 similar incidents at Hillsborough around that period and one of them was Tottenham v Wolves on the same day as City beating Ipswich at Villa Park. In fact, if you watch the highlights you can see fans on the pitch with the game in progress.

However, I've always believed that other clubs might have received justice far quicker. Hillsborough falling just a few years after Heysel sent justice in the wrong direction.

For example, the following season, City's game at Hillsborough on New Years Day was switched to a midday kick off with hardly any notice to the travelling fans.
The media made it abundantly clear that the Police didn't want City's "hooligans" rampaging through Sheffield before the game.
It took a few more years before the authorities started listening.

I was on exercise in Germany, stood down at the weekend as no tracked vehicle movements were allowed. I was listening to the radio waiting for the football to start, “Good Thing” by the FYC’s was playing and was cut short to report that something was going off at Hillsborough, it was the day after my 21st birthday. At first we all just assumed it was fans kicking off which was hardly a rarity in the eighties.
No track movement....Soltau?

Commiserations to all lfc fans genuinely affected. I'm glad the police, the press, the govn were found out to be the shisters they are
Sad that no one went to jail for it all.

Also sad that lfc capitalise lfc as much as they do on it. Grief isn't something that should make your team better than others.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.