Stockport County

Jeez, they've got to be eighty and pushing Zimmer frames if they're a day. Still doing the drugs, though, I hope.

Joe Beard went to school with my Dad, used to drink in my local, I went to school with my daughter. He’s early 70’s.
They still play the odd gig, but he moved to the midlands somewhere to be nearer to his daughter and grand kids.

Glad to see County do well, my best man is a big county fan. He's always respected City and therefore I have always respected county. Also helps that we both fucking hate United!

Mark, the owner is a huge City fan. He was one of the unfortunates that had to walk down the motorway in Istanbul.

When I was growing up in Manchester (ok, greater Manchester) Stockport was my closest fair-sized town. Went into the Merseyway shopping centre fairly regularly with my mother, and used to go and buy my rock and folk LPs at a place that was down the hill, I think on Great Underbank, although I wouldn't swear to it (looong time ago). Even saw Keef Hartley at the Stockport College of Technology, as it then was. Revised for my A levels in Stockport Central Library that spring. Happy times.
I've often thought that if I'd stayed in Manchester, I would probably have supported County as a lower league club as well as City, and indeed went to Edgley Park a few times because it was on Friday nights, and I simply couldn't get enough live football in those days. By God but it was a pokey little ground then. The Cheadle End sometimes used to give it the big one about both City and United from time to time. Touching, really.
There's a logical catchment area to support County in League One, easily, and maybe in the Championship. North Manchester was well served in those days — Bolton, Bury, Rochdale, Oldham, sad that so many of them have fallen on hard times — and there was something of an imbalance.
Glad to see them doing well, frankly. As for them beating us and gloating about it donkeys years ago, I just can't be bothered to hate them for it now. I haven't got the negative energy. They had their moment in the sun. We are the Champions League holders, three successive Premier League holders and (I am afraid) now a global franchise. Can I really be bothered to care about the fact that a team that's just got back into the league once beat us, during the nanosecond in which our paths crossed? Really not.
Hope they go up.
Great post mate, how us blues can hold a grudge because they beat us way back then is something I’ll never know even if they did gloat a bit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.