The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Been thinking about why we always seem to be able to outlast our title rivals year after year.

I think it started on 16 December 2020, when Pep made a huge change in his approach.

This was following the 1-1 draw with West Brom, where he changed to the false 9. This in itself was a large factor in us winning the league that season, but the other change is why we have won it each season since.

We all know that Arsenal and Liverpool press like madmen. Arteta basically copied Pep’s approach and added some Atletico shithousery to allow their lungs some rest.

What Pep decided in Dec 2020 was a way for us to control games by running less. It was highlighted in the documentary of that season.

This running less allows us to retain more energy for longer and as we go into the run in, we’re fresher than our pressed-out opponents.

That's one part of it, the other is rotation. Pep does it from the very start of the season to ensure we're fit and firing at this stage. We've had to flog players a little more due to the various injuries suffered, but the fact we're top when Stones has featured in 12 league games and Grealish and De Bruyne 9 is quite staggering.

We've not got this huge squad. We just use ours. There's no "best 11". It depends on who we play and what we need. Foden and Alvarez have played 2,449 minutes in the league. By comparison, White, Saka, Gabriel, Saliba, Odegaard and Rice all exceed this for Arsenal. Saliba has played 2,880 minutes, featuring in every single game. Physical and mental fatigue is natural when you play that much.

I'm sure if you look across all competitions they've probably flogged them in the CL as well.

By trusting our squad and using it, we can maintain standards through to the end even with changes. Haaland, Stones and De Bruyne rested against Villa. Foden and Bernie against Palace and Stones joined them against Luton.

Arsenal had to take Odegaard off against Villa because for some reason they thought it was worthwhile playing him at home to Luton. It's inexperience from Arteta in my opinion. Pep knows you rotate up to this point so you can give it all from here on out. We'll rotate against Chelsea in the Cup and then it will be a constant message of one more game lads and you're closer to the title, this is what you fight for all season, you can be tired in the summer just go and do it.

We'll rotate against Chelsea in the Cup and then it will be a constant message of one more game lads and you're closer to the title, this is what you fight for all season, you can be tired in the summer just go and do it.

We'll rotate after Chelsea too, but to a lesser extent. We have 6 excellent defenders, Pep will rotate them till the end. We have good wingers, Pep will rotate Grealish, Doku, Bobb and may use even Alvarez on the wing.

The players who will play with less rotation are Rodri, Foden and Haaland, mostly Rodri.

I froze in horror last night looking at our remaining fixtures, after I discovered that if we get past Madrid tomorrow we will have to play away/travel to Brighton and Forest within a timescale of around 46 hours.
Just couldn't imagine the league doing this to the Rags or dippers if they were in our position.
It's crazy

I froze in horror last night looking at our remaining fixtures, after I discovered that if we get past Madrid tomorrow we will have to play away/travel to Brighton and Forest within a timescale of around 46 hours.
Just couldn't imagine the league doing this to the Rags or dippers if they were in our position.
It's crazy
And it will make it that little bit sweeter if we win it again.

It's crazy
If we get through, the Brighton game moves to Wednesday 8pm and Forest Saturday 530pm. Not 72 hours but a bit more than 46 hours. Still a big task but our boys can do it.

It's crazy
Think your maths is a little out. We play either Thursday then Sunday, or Wednesday then Saturday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.