VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24

Not based on the current implementation of VAR it isn’t though, people have just decided now it is because it stopped Coventry from beating United. I’m fine with that, change the implementation then and increase the margins even more than they currently are if people want that.
The margins were increased for this season, certainly in the PL.

The only time I recall the increased margins being implemented was for St Marcus of Rashford in their game v the Dipper's.

You can build a system like that. The DRS in cricket is a good example. It’s actually built to correct obvious howlers by the umpire but crucially built in is an acceptance that on the subjective even tech can’t give the correct answer so umpires call can be factored in

Any overhaul of VAR should go back to first principles - a tool to support the ref as the ultimate arbiter of games to make better decisions themselves

I’m sure it can be done. I’m just asking the multitude of people who claim that VAR should be reserved for howlers, to have a go at putting into English how they would like that worded.

The authorities can’t just say… We will reserve the use of it for ‘howlers’ It would need to be specifically worded so that it includes everything people want corrected and nothing that they don’t.

I’m sure it can be done. I’m just asking the multitude of people who claim that VAR should be reserved for howlers, to have a go at putting into English how they would like that worded.

The authorities can’t just say… We will reserve the use of it for ‘howlers’ It would need to be specifically worded so that it includes everything people want corrected and nothing that they don’t.
I think the howler would have to be clearly seen and an obvious error.

Bingo! "Clear and obvious"

Can't see anyone objecting to that ;)

The margins were increased for this season, certainly in the PL.

The only time I recall the increased margins being implemented was for St Marcus of Rashford in their game v the Dipper's.

It’s been in for every game since the start of last season hasn’t it? I haven’t seen them using the thinner lines once.

I do think the margin for error should be increased more though.

I’m not technically minded enough to know the ins and outs mate. But that image is taken from a camera no where near level with the lines it is showing. That’s is bound to show distortions to the human eye isn’t it? More so when you’ve zoomed in.

It’s like the way two perfectly parallel lines will eventually meet to the human eye, if you can see them far enough. Don’t even try and explain that to me. But it’s a fact.

Accepted, but at each point on the way to the horizon, the lines will appear to be the same width (as each other) as long as they are in reality the same width.

Anyway, never mind.

Last edited:
Not really, all i ever see is .. 'yeh we had a decision go for us, lets see what happens next time'' and then nothing happens. all forgotten.
Yeah, if you say so. But it's a thing. Something that we didn't have before VAR. Which is my point, VAR has introduced so much more than just correct decisions (and even that is debatable if you don't necessarily believe the stats that PGMOL try to convince us with). It's changed, over complicated, the game so much that we're stupefied. The refs, the fans, the players.

I think the howler would have to be clearly seen and an obvious error.

Bingo! "Clear and obvious"

Can't see anyone objecting to that ;)
And you could easily apply the "clear and obvious" test to offside. If it's not immediately clear whether a player is offside then you give them the benefit of the doubt.

If you have to draw lines then it's patently not clear and obvious.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.