Last manager who City fans really wanted sacked

There were a lot of people who wanted Mancini sacked towards the end. Its looked back fondly now but I remember people giving him a lot of shit
To be fair, the amount of blue-on-blue fighting at Wembley before, during, and after the Wigan cup final suggested that many wanted Mancini to stay. "You can stick your Pellegrini up your arse" was the chant. After the game went to shit and Wigan nicked it the fighting only got worse. If it'd been a properly sunny May Saturday and hadn't pissed down immediately on full-time, forcing us all to dash for the tube, there would have been scuffles outside for sure. A dark day. We set off in the car early in the morning full of optimism and then at about 11am the first headline dropped that Mancini was 24 hours away from the sack regardless of the result, and the mood darkened from thereon in. By the time we got to the ground the weather had turned, everyone knew we were about to watch Mancini's last ever game, and then the players proceeded to waddle about for 90 mins letting Wigan take it from us. A properly shit day.

There is and can be only one Manager that deserved to be sacked before he even took charge of his first game.

Yes, I'm referring to clueless flat arse Hughes.

He just did not have a scooby about football management and this has been confirmed by unmitigated successive failures at Bradford, Stoke, Southampton Fulham and QPR.

No style of play, no va va voom, no excitement, absolutely dogshit - nothing about him at all. I despised the man as our manager.

Last edited:
With the exception of Alan Ball I’ve never really wanted to see a manager sacked. Most of the time it’s just an indication that they were never really right for the job and whoever appointed them fucked up. Many of them seem to have a brief period of success at one club and then live of it for the rest of their careers. Steve Bruce in particular springs to mind. Kendall going was a real kick in the nuts, I doubt we’d have been in anywhere near the shit we ended up in if he’d stayed. Mancini’s appointment was an inspired piece of management imo. He was always going to have a limited shelf life but was exactly what the players and the club needed to bully us out of the rags shadow (something that was never going to happen under Hughes).

To be fair, the amount of blue-on-blue fighting at Wembley before, during, and after the Wigan cup final suggested that many wanted Mancini to stay. "You can stick your Pellegrini up your arse" was the chant. After the game went to shit and Wigan nicked it the fighting only got worse. If it'd been a properly sunny May Saturday and hadn't pissed down immediately on full-time, forcing us all to dash for the tube, there would have been scuffles outside for sure. A dark day. We set off in the car early in the morning full of optimism and then at about 11am the first headline dropped that Mancini was 24 hours away from the sack regardless of the result, and the mood darkened from thereon in. By the time we got to the ground the weather had turned, everyone knew we were about to watch Mancini's last ever game, and then the players proceeded to waddle about for 90 mins letting Wigan take it from us. A properly shit day.
A totally shit day. Sadly in front of 60-65,000 blues - never seen so many completely pissed-up people either !

I don't know about that.

We finished 4th and on 66 points with the performances being absolutely rancid for the most part. If United hadn't conceded a late goal to West Ham days before the season finished, we'd have finished 5th behind the rags. Yeah, we won the league cup but there's no way that team was better than the one the year after. With the Pep team you could see we were heading in the right direction and were just a couple of full backs away from making the turn.

Are you trying to suggest Guardiola is a better manager than Pellegrini?

I wanted Mancini out by the disturbing Wigan Cup Final. It was obvious he’d lost the dressing room. Rightly or wrongly, the tail wags the dog in football now and he had to go.

Hughes’ appointment was just bad timing. He’d have been fine under a Thaksin budget but the club changed significantly after that so it was inevitable they’d want their own man.

I’ve been Blue since Alan Ball and pretty much all of the managers have been moved on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.