COMS Capacity

Dyed Petya said:
Balti said:
Sorry but this thread is bollox. Let's not run before we can walk. 48K will do for now ta.

48K will do for MCFC for now, I fully agree, but I've heard a rumour that the Arabs want to take the capacity up to somewhere around 65K so that they can take prestige occasions that currently go to Old Trafford because of its bigger capacity (big rugby matches of hbth codes, a possible 2018 World Cup semi final etc). Apparently, the thinking is that if we can get somewhere in the region of 65K, the fact that CoMS is simply a much more comfortable stadium for spectators (in terms of leg room, sight lines etc) and the fact that we'll have more and better corporate facilities (they intend to add to these as well, I believe), means that tickets/hospitality can be priced on such occasions to ensure that a match grosses more at CoMS than it would at OT despite the bigger capacity.

It's similar to the reason for the FA regularly choosing 52K Maine Road over 60K Old Trafford for FA Cup semi finals in the 1970s and 1980s. Maine Road had 26K seats, a lot more than Old Trafford, and the ticket prices for the seats were about double what they charged for standing, so MR was the more lucrative venue.

That, and the fact the rags happened to be in alot of them!!!!!

DontLookBackInAnger said:
Dyed Petya said:
48K will do for MCFC for now, I fully agree, but I've heard a rumour that the Arabs want to take the capacity up to somewhere around 65K so that they can take prestige occasions that currently go to Old Trafford because of its bigger capacity (big rugby matches of hbth codes, a possible 2018 World Cup semi final etc). Apparently, the thinking is that if we can get somewhere in the region of 65K, the fact that CoMS is simply a much more comfortable stadium for spectators (in terms of leg room, sight lines etc) and the fact that we'll have more and better corporate facilities (they intend to add to these as well, I believe), means that tickets/hospitality can be priced on such occasions to ensure that a match grosses more at CoMS than it would at OT despite the bigger capacity.

It's similar to the reason for the FA regularly choosing 52K Maine Road over 60K Old Trafford for FA Cup semi finals in the 1970s and 1980s. Maine Road had 26K seats, a lot more than Old Trafford, and the ticket prices for the seats were about double what they charged for standing, so MR was the more lucrative venue.

That, and the fact the rags happened to be in alot of them!!!!!

That's true, of course, but we got the ones they weren't in as well! All Merseyside games, Leeds v Wolves and Fulham v Birmingham.

Dyed Petya said:
kramer said:
Dennis Tueart said on Radio Manchester, he was on the stadium committee and he said that the question was asked about expansion and he said although not impossible it would be not viable financially

It wouldn't be viable financially unless we thought we could fill it. Look at the debt burden Arsenal were prepared to assume to move to a new ground because they knew they could fill a 60K stadium every week. I don't think our costs of expansion would be anything like the costs of the Emirates project.

However, as I've implied above, I don't think that this is purely a financial calculation on the part of our owners. I think they want the prestige that would come with recognition of our having the primary venue in the country outside London.
prestige is the key word Dyed Petya.I think the money they will make from this whole venture will be made in other areas of buisness,that will benifit directly or indirectly from football.I can;t see our owners spending all this, unless they have a vision of a stadium that is bigger [and full] than any other in europe.Even if it means freezing season ticket prices for years.How they benifit,I;ve not a clue,my buisness knowledge ends there.You never know,they may just love football and hate the rags,LOL.

SouthStand211 said:
Keep the capacity as it is please. Let's get 44k fans rocking!

I agree with this, do we want a massive stadium that looks like Lego land with bits added on to it. Personally I think 'The Theatre of Screams is an isor!!' They seem to squeeze as many people into a small area higher and higher. I have been told (Having set foot into the place twice and I will never go again!!) That the views are awful!!!

I think we need to get the whole place rocking!!!!!

i8therags said:
Neil McNab said:
We all go on a diet and put smaller seats in...........simples!
ha ha,,If they did that at Old Trafford they;d trebble it.f@ckin lard arses

The actually did this at O.T. about 4 years ago. I worked with a red who was a season ticket holder and he was furious when the new season came and he found that his seat was a little more snug than it had been. Turned out that they had re-seated the whole stand and that there were now two more seats on the row than there had been at the end of the previous season. United carried on doing this throughout the parts of the stadium that had not been rebuilt previously, i.e the blocks in the 'old' parts of the ground. After he told me he said watch our capacity go up at each game during the season and sure enough it did!

My mate was particularly pissed off because he was on the biggish side and would have quite happily have paid a few quid more for a bit of comfort. Was particularly funny as I used to wind him up about my comfy seat at COMS!

Mike N said:
i8therags said:
ha ha,,If they did that at Old Trafford they;d trebble it.f@ckin lard arses

The actually did this at O.T. about 4 years ago. I worked with a red who was a season ticket holder and he was furious when the new season came and he found that his seat was a little more snug than it had been. Turned out that they had re-seated the whole stand and that there were now two more seats on the row than there had been at the end of the previous season. United carried on doing this throughout the parts of the stadium that had not been rebuilt previously, i.e the blocks in the 'old' parts of the ground. After he told me he said watch our capacity go up at each game during the season and sure enough it did!

My mate was particularly pissed off because he was on the biggish side and would have quite happily have paid a few quid more for a bit of comfort. Was particularly funny as I used to wind him up about my comfy seat at COMS!
pmsl

In The Know said:
nem said:
Yes the main stands (Colin Bell and East stand) can also be added to but the 'quick fix' is to built upon the north and south stands and refigure the roof structure causing minimal disruption and cost. Anything more than that will cost a hell of a lot and have major construction implications i.e limited spectators / stand closures for quite long periods of time because remember the roof is cable stayed so will effectively have to be rebuilt. Not sure how feasible it is to dig down though without seriously impeding on pitch space.

Twas designed long before I was on the scene but I will enquire for you all if your interested.

Are you sure you are a structural engineer because I thought you would have known that we cannot dig deeper due to the water table.

I'm pretty sure I know what my profession I'm in! The presence of a water table doesn't prohibit excavating further down on any strucutre as long as hydrostatic uplift is catered for by sufficient structure dead weight and/or providing uplift capacity in the foundation using tension piles, the concrete durability would also have to be taken in account. Most basements are usually well below the water table.
It's very unlikey expansion would be achieved by doing this but is not beyond the realms of engineering construction.

nem said:
In The Know said:
Are you sure you are a structural engineer because I thought you would have known that we cannot dig deeper due to the water table.

I'm pretty sure I know what my profession I'm in! The presence of a water table doesn't prohibit excavating further down on any strucutre as long as hydrostatic uplift is catered for by sufficient structure dead weight and/or providing uplift capacity in the foundation using tension piles, the concrete durability would also have to be taken in account. Most basements are usually well below the water table.
It's very unlikey expansion would be achieved by doing this but is not beyond the realms of engineering construction.

^^^ermmm yeah. This

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.