Bobby Robson loses battle with cancer

We went down to St James' Park around 2:30pm, plenty of people were there.

A lot of tears from the good many present, a great reverent, respectful atmosphere.

Sunderland fans' tributes were welcomed very warmly and tied alongside those of Newcastle with great friendliness. Likewise tributes from Middlesborough, Leeds, Swindon and Manchester United. Brilliant to see.

I tied my City scarf to one of the Gallowgate End's front rows. Sir Bobby's 1990 England team drove me football mad as a seven year old and thus I've much to thank him for. We also drove alongside him along the A1 some years ago and he cracked me a brilliant wink from the fast lane, despite my City shirt.

Marvellous.

There are not many managers who are so successful, respected and popular at the same time. It’s rare to have all three qualities in the same person.

His England team gave me one of my best-ever footballing memories when Platt scored against Belgium.
Great sense of humour,great man-manager-but humble.
He totally understood the importance of football to the "working man" and had genuine affection and time for all he met.

RIP Sir Bobby.
And thanks for the memories.

Italia 90 is by far my favourite world cup, and Sir Bob is a big part of the reason why.

A true gentleman as a player and manager, shown respect for everyone who he came into contact with.

RIP

His record as a manager was exceptional, however his achiements at Ipswich were nothing short of miraculous, no disrespect intended to Clough who was the greatest, but he had fortunes compared to what Ipswich had.

If our aim is to finish top 6 or top 4, compare Robsons record from 73 until he left. They were one of the top teams in the country, and consistently finished higher than Man Utd and Arsenal.
From 1969 until he took over as England manager he made 14 signings, inc Thissen And Muhren. How good was Muhren? He played for Holland in the 1988 European Championships
at 38 and helped to destroy England 3-1 at the same championships.

The two players Muhren and Thissen replaced were England Internationals also Colin Viljoen and Talfot who went to Arsenal.

The most money he spent was £220,000 for Paul Mariner from Plymouth. Replacing Johnson who went to Liverpool.

His 1st team pairing of Beattie and Hunter, Beattie being probably the natural successor to Bobby Moore, his career was sadly cut short by serious injury, he replaced them with two other players from the academy Butcher and Osman.

The only player who was not a full international was Paul Cooper, the goalkeeper, Clough remember won the League because he secured the services of Peter Shilton.

If he had won the League once he would be spoken about in the same breath.

His 1st team were Cooper, Burley Scotland, Mills England, Thissen Holland, Butcher England, Osman England, Wark Scotland, Gates England, Mariner England, Muhren Holland, Woods England This was in an Era when England and Scotland caps were not handed out like confetti.

Wonderful quote which will bring a smile to all of you. In 1980 Ipswich beat Man Utd 6-0 in a League game. Read on

Amazingly, Gary Bailey saved 3 penalties in the same game, imagine that for a final score, Ipswich 9 Manchester United nil.

Heres the link
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-V12LB4x8E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-V12LB4x8E</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.