Question for 'older' City fans

Age 55, fan since my first match in 1961.

Passion even greater because the glory days I remember so well are (almost) here again.

What else counts?

First started watching the Blues when George Poyser was manager. Lost my passion for the club when John Bond was appointed manager. Loathed the spiv. Hughes had to go but the manner in which that twat Cooke went about it is sickening.

Living in Australia,I have become a little removed.
The faith never wavers though,and thank god my son will never have to see the likes of Mike Walsh,Micky Horswill,Peter Bodak pulling on the shirt as I had to.
Moving from Maine rd.,affected the atmosphere more than anything.
Seen us win the league cup in 76,but it's a long time between drinks.

terryphelan said:
It's probably a bit silly to aim a question at older City fans on a fan forum, I'm guessing the average age on here seems to be around student age, but my question for any older fans is:

Do you worry that you are losing touch with City a bit? I'm 30 but I've recently had a couple of conversations with some City fans in my dad's generation, 50-60s, who feel exactly the same way. One didn't renew their 20+ years season ticket last season just for this very reason.

It's not a Mancini thing because these conversations were before yesterday, but I guess this just amplifies it.

They didn't feel like there were any true 'City' players left anymore. I'm too young for Lee bell and Summerbee but even my generation there were players who were City through and through, they absolutely loved the club, could speak intelligible English in interviews which helped - you felt more of an affinity with them. If they lost a derby they were truly gutted, almost as gutted as us the fans.

I'm talking about the likes of Paul Lake, David White, Ian Brightwell, Quinny, even Richard Edghill. Even some of the foreign players like Kinky - he still comes to see us play now and again, I can't imagine Adebayor doing the same.

Now with a foreign manager and I'm not going all Nick griffin here by the way, I detest racism, but it just feels like the older fans are somehow losing touch with the club.

I hope this isn't the general consensus, just interested to know your opinions. If you're younger than mid 20's this question/thread isn't really for you, I don't want a backlash please!!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video/Features/True-Blue-David-Ball-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video/Features/Tr ... vid-Ball-1</a>
If youve already watched this, watch it again....
nothing pleases me more than to see these types of lads coming through at the club, they are like us fans out on the pitch- but miles better at footy.
Also like already mentioned theres Superman, SWP, Ned etc. Keep the faith - the futures still well and truly blue ;)

Im 52 ,season ticket holder since I was 11 years old, was at wembley for the 1969 cup final and every final since then,was priviledged to be a fan when we dominated U*D including best,Law ,Charlton etc for years.
Seen everything regarding managers,coming and going,but really dissappointed with the way MH has been treated.
Who the F**k thinks Brian Marwood is the footballing guru who can guide us to be where we want to be?Is he or Cooke as passionate as us?Obviously the answer is no and when the next payday comes along away they go.Whereas no matter what happens we will still be here.
But in answer to the OP i'm stll passionate about City and like alot of others go to extreme lengths to watch City home and away.
But at the moment think when will we learn?

KentBlue said:
I'm 53 and I've been a Blue since the 60's, and I'm definitely not losing interest in the club. If anything the opposite is happening. These are exciting times for us and I'm glad I'm still around to see at first hand the transformation of the club.

Naturally you'll get one or two older fans saying It's not like it used to be. But then you could say that about absolutely anything.

this is me too^^^

Football has changed not just City and IMHO for the better, we see the some of the world's greatest players now and as a supporter of nearly 50 years then I can say I've never been so excited about City due to the media and especially the internet I'm into football every day firstly City and then football in general use to be just the Pink and Shoot

Th only draw back is that the former players association will die out soon but when you look at players like Rosler and Goater we will still have players in the future who become blues when their playing career ends

Reminds me of Reid's sacking.

That was the last one were I knew it was a terrible mistake.

SWALES OUT!

51 years old and saw my first game in 1967. I feel just as passionate and connected to City as I ever did. Yes the club has changed, but so has the whole game of football. Lets face it, with the introduction of the Premiership it's become as much as business as a sport. Can't say I'm overly enamoured with that situation, but times have changed, and so must the club if we want to compete at the highest level in the modern game.

Whatever your views on the whole Hughes situation one fact remains. My club still has a better chance of winning silverware over the next few years than at any time since the 70's. I look forward to what's still to come.

baldybouncer said:
I'm 55 and seen some shite managers at City and I'm afraid Hughes was one of them. I've also witnessed some great football and footballers even though we've ain't won a been. Football has totally changed, not just City. It's about time fans and the media realised that we can't go back to the golden age of Mercer, Shankly, Busby and Revie when football was played without money getting in the way. I've loved the club through thick and thin. Hate United with a passion that I can't explain (thanks Dad) and couldn't comtemplate not having City in my life!

Ditto .... thanks baldy for not having to think about my post ..... I'm 53 this week

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.