Your top 3 managers of City

Joe mercer - He was a legend while he was at city
Sven G-R - Arguably, got us where we are now by craping is into eurpoe and giving us decent football at the time. Top class manager, just didn't work out for him.
Kevin keegan - Great guy, loved the club...Getting us back on track from the championship.

Damocles said:
Only going to include managers that I've seen.

1. Joe Royle - Not the best manager in the world, but considering how he helped rescue us, and his long association with the club, he's definitely up there for me.

2. Mark Hughes - Probably controversial, but I enjoyed his interviews as he came across with a really dry wit. In addition to this, at times the football was great to watch and the general excitement around the club when he was here at the start of the takeover rubbed off. We have a lot to thank the man for, as he transformed City from a top half at best club to a world class training facility that players want to come to.

3. Kevin Keegan - How could anyone not like the man? He was stubborn as a mule, and didn't know his arse from his elbow tactically, but the football was great in the same way that Evel Kinevil was great. We didn't admire him for his sense, we admired him for his lack of it.

Notable mentions go to Sven and Peter Reid.
Hughes took over a team that had finished 9th on 55 points, bought new players for £120 million, and then finished 10th on 50 points. So yes, a LITTLE bit controversial.

barney8 said:
Damocles said:
Only going to include managers that I've seen.

1. Joe Royle - Not the best manager in the world, but considering how he helped rescue us, and his long association with the club, he's definitely up there for me.

2. Mark Hughes - Probably controversial, but I enjoyed his interviews as he came across with a really dry wit. In addition to this, at times the football was great to watch and the general excitement around the club when he was here at the start of the takeover rubbed off. We have a lot to thank the man for, as he transformed City from a top half at best club to a world class training facility that players want to come to.

3. Kevin Keegan - How could anyone not like the man? He was stubborn as a mule, and didn't know his arse from his elbow tactically, but the football was great in the same way that Evel Kinevil was great. We didn't admire him for his sense, we admired him for his lack of it.

Notable mentions go to Sven and Peter Reid.
Hughes took over a team that had finished 9th on 55 points, bought new players for £120 million, and then finished 10th on 50 points. So yes, a LITTLE bit controversial.
Actually, no.

He finished 10th and then spent £120m.

MCFC BOB said:
barney8 said:
Actually, no.

He finished 10th and then spent £120m.
Oh, yes he did. He spent £120 million in his first season, and the another £100 million in his second.

Taking into account my age I have actually included a manager for whom every bit of evidence I can find, and the conversations I have had with people who met him and watched his teams play make him undeniably the greatest.

1. Mercer - a gentleman, a footballing scholar, a motivator, a father figure (who had no need for a hairdryer unlike some) and a calming influence strong enough to bring a flawed genius like Big Mal along.

2. Book - one of the clubs all time greatest servants who took on the challenge of City manager under the only Chairman capable of almost killing the club and yet he still won a trophy and has us high enough in the league for CL qualification.

He also stepped into the breach whenever asked to.

And it was always a joy watching him punt balls over for the keepers' pre-match warm up in whilst stood on the Kippax.

3. Keegan. Not because he won anything worth celebrating but for giving us a glorious season and promotion. Keegan proved to us that there was real football still to be played and City still had a massive future, if only.........and now we are there.

(I would like to give a special mention to the late Allan Ball because that season was the real start of the changes. FHL knew then that he had to let others help out and listened a little more. So AB started ironically was the start of our rise. )

Ticket For Schalke said:
flb said:
Royle's in purely for the promotions,his face at Blackburn showed what a blue he was-top man was Joe

And the grit he shown after Stoke, instead of waving bye, he got the fans going, some games that season, 0.1 at Bolton, Kennedy with that screamer, and obv birmingham, think we played swindon that season, look how far we've come.

I remember at Kennedy goal I went with my Dad with 1 ticket I was only 9 and they didn't let us both in so I went in on my own. Top goal that was!

Managers I can remember:

1). Mercer
2). Book
3). Kendall

Honourable mentions:

Reid for finishing above scum.
Horton and Keegan for great football.
Bond for a cup final.
Royle for dragging us from the third to first tier in two seasons.

Also, Magnall and MacDowell must have been great managers, but I can't remember them.

And why have some posters mentioned Allison?

He must be one of the worst we have ever had. He reigned after only a few months first time around and ripped the guts out of the side in his second spell by selling the like of Barnes, Owen.

Great coach - possibly the greatest coach there has ever been - but a very poor manager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.