Tonsilitis

Miami Weiss

I have large tonsils and they are very prone to infection, Ever since I was young I would be getting regular infections 3+ times a year. I'm 17 now and nothing has changed. I would get antibiotics if it was very severe, normally I would get a anti bacterial spray/strepsils, and it would clear up.

I have a healthy diet and lifestyle. I brush my teeth and I use mouthwash which has alcohol in it. I don't eat rancid dog ****e (which my doctor seems to believe)

My tonsils have many holes/flaps of skin. They are a breeding ground for bacteria, and I shouldn't have to put up with this numerous times a year!

I am seriously considering getting my tonsils removed at this stage, has anyone else had this procedure? Could you give me a bit of a walk-through, or what to expect?

Miami Weiss said:
I have large tonsils and they are very prone to infection, Ever since I was young I would be getting regular infections 3+ times a year. I'm 17 now and nothing has changed. I would get antibiotics if it was very severe, normally I would get a anti bacterial spray/strepsils, and it would clear up.

I have a healthy diet and lifestyle. I brush my teeth and I use mouthwash which has alcohol in it. I don't eat rancid dog ****e (which my doctor seems to believe)

My tonsils have many holes/flaps of skin. They are a breeding ground for bacteria, and I shouldn't have to put up with this numerous times a year!

I am seriously considering getting my tonsils removed at this stage, has anyone else had this procedure? Could you give me a bit of a walk-through, or what to expect?

I had them out as a kid and my 3 year old daughter is about to have hers out, she gets tonsilitis every 3/4 weeks. But from memory it was fairly painless until they make you eat before being discharged from hospital, I had to eat either 2 pieces of dry toast or a bowl of corn flakes, i opted for corn flakes and it hurt like fook. its apparently to scratch the operation site to increase blood flow for healing and to remove bacteria, when I got home it was ice cream or custard for the next week or so and it was all good.

Miami Weiss said:
Do you remember the pain at all? Did you vomit blood? Cheers mate.

Didnt vomit blood mate, I did wake up with a gob full of blood but that was when i was about 6 nearly 10 years have passed since then and i hear they arent anywhere near as bad as they were. the only pain i remember was swallowing food but thats only until it scabs over and starts to heal its just a week or so, if you opt for sloppy food you should be allright.

as I say my 3 year old is having hers out in November the consultant says that tonsilectomys have come a long way in recent years, he says they are now fairly pain free and dont have mouthfulls of blood. not trying to put you off but i realise it sounds quite gruesome. on a positive I never had any health problems after I had them out.

adamgregory said:
Miami Weiss said:
Do you remember the pain at all? Did you vomit blood? Cheers mate.

Didnt vomit blood mate, I did wake up with a gob full of blood but that was when i was about 6 nearly 10 years have passed since then and i hear they arent anywhere near as bad as they were. the only pain i remember was swallowing food but thats only until it scabs over and starts to heal its just a week or so, if you opt for sloppy food you should be allright.

as I say my 3 year old is having hers out in November the consultant says that tonsilectomys have come a long way in recent years, he says they are now fairly pain free and dont have mouthfulls of blood. not trying to put you off but i realise it sounds quite gruesome. on a positive I never had any health problems after I had them out.

Other people tell me it's the worst pain they've experienced, everyones different I suppose.
The pain will be worth it in the end anyway, thanks mate!

Blue Smarties said:
Chuck snowballs at your tonsils.

also, be careful with those pork swords

gargling the meat whilst tackling large fleshy tonsils can be hard work.

I had my tonsils out when I was 24. I kid you not it was the most excruciating pain i've ever had, (must remember to put this on the 'Ouch!' thread!). The post op was ok, too knocked out to care, but a good 3 days after it started to really hurt. The night time was worst, i'd wake up in the night with a dry mouth, go to swallow and would find it that painful i'd almost be in tears. That first gulp of water to wet my throat was like swallowing razor blades, absolutely fucking terrible. I was off work for 2 weeks with the post op. You're basiccally left with 2 open wounds in your throat, and they take that long to heal up you need 2 weeks off so's not be prone to infection. The knock out drops are good though, I used to count the 2 hourly periods down to when I could have my next lot, and as the last half hour approached, thats when the pain was at its worst as they had completely worn off by then. Half hour into having fresh ones though, I can only describe it as being high as fuck and not caring. I'd find myself staring into thin air, or trying to comprehend what was on the tele... awesome!
Work made me have them out as I was having a lot of time off with tonsilitis, but would I recommend anyone having them out? Would I fucking bollox. Keep those bad boys in mate, and suffer the fever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.