"Manchester The Greatest City" Kindle Version of Chapter One

Gary James

A few have asked in the past about whether ebook versions of my books are available. Due to various copyright issues it's not possible at the moment, however my current publishers James Ward are trying to organise this.

Today they have managed to create a kindle version of the main Chapter One text from "Manchester The Greatest City" - it covers the main narrative from 1880-1892 and is only available via Amazon at present.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manchester-The-Greatest-City-1880-1892/dp/B004LLIJSE/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296547328&sr=1-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manchester-The- ... 328&sr=1-4</a>

If this proves popular and of interest they will look to producing further chapters.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Gary

I'll definitely purchase it when its the full edition. In Uganda so unable to get book any other way at the moment

Project said:
This is awesome, thank you. Will buy this when I get home.

It is only the main narrative from chapter one, but if it proves of interest we'll do the rest. It doesn't contain any of the images unfortunately, but at least it tells the story of those opening years.

They have a way of sampling some of the text so at least you can see what it's like before you buy.

£2.29 for ONE chapter!!!!!!

can't see many people paying that? ( for text only and no pics!!)

I have a Kindle btw

I ordered the book from my local library for a fiver on an inter-branch loan. The book arrived last week and the librarian rang me, not getting of on the right foot by saying, '' The book on Manchester United you ordered has arrived'' she's an old girl so I was 'restrained'!
However it has been transferred from Cambridge University Library and I can't take it out of the building.Pointless really. So long story short nice-one on the Kindle version. Looking forward to having my own copy.

alib said:
£2.29 for ONE chapter!!!!!!

can't see many people paying that? ( for text only and no pics!!)

I have a Kindle btw

Thanks for the feedback. This is the sort of thing the publishers need to know. That chapter contains about 9000 words (and there's one image) and I'd be genuinely keen to hear what people think is a fair price (bearing in mind that the original book cost £24.95 when it came out in 1997).

One word of caution.... someone currently has a kindle book of MCFC on sale on Amazon which is the 5th best selling City book at the moment BUT seems to be an exact lift of the material on Wikipedia on City. That's selling at £1.77 even though the material is free (and in itself lifted out of other copyrighted works).

I'd buy the full kindle book for $20-$24. The first chapter sales aren't going to tell you anything meaningful. Either someone wants to know the whole story or none. If the $6 could be credited against a purchase of the full book, that would be more useful.

I would buy the whole book on Kindle, but £2.29 for just the opening chapter is steep

It's a consitent whinge of ebook owners that the books are generally over-priced, having worked in a bookshop, some time ago, I can see both sides of the argument.

My Kindle is great for carrying around but the reading "experience" just isn't the same has having the book in front of you - like having a black white TV, rather than colour.

I love my kindle, all books should have the option of a kindle version in this
day and age. Not going to bother with a chapter though, give us a shout
when the entire book is available ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.