This is MY City

Dr Mick

This is MY city. This is where I was born. This is where I live. This is where I will die.

In an area of 72 square miles. Me and half a million, proud, honourable and decent people. Good people. Friendly, creative, determined people.

This is OUR city. The first and greatest industrial city in the world. The home of textile manufacturing, cotton spinning and mechanical engineering. A centre of capitalism, yet a proud and principled, unpretentious, working class city.

A city that knows how to get things done. A city that built 36 miles of ship canal to promote and assist trade and industry A city that houses the world's first railway station. Where scientists first split the atom and where the first programmable computer was developed.

A city that knows it politics and is prepared to stand up for what is right. A hotbed of political affairs and principals that over the years has seen unrest, demonstrations and riots. A city that hosted the very first trade union congress. An important geographical marker in the suffragette movement and a city with a notable place in the history of Marxism and the world’s first nuclear free city. The birthplace of David Lloyd George and where Bonnie Prince Charlie was once kidnapped and held hostage.

A city of fine architecture. Of Roman settlements. Of gothic buildings . A city battered and bruised during the second world war with many of its fine buildings flattened to the ground. A city that refused to be defeated and who’s people rallied to help the city rise from the rubble.

A city bombed by terrorists that had the vision to turn adversity into opportunity in order to create a modern day, progressive and forward thinking city.

A city of art and creativity and culture. A city with a rich musical history boasting many great musicians, singers and protagonists.

A city of fine footballing tradition. Of Bert Trautman, Peter Doherty and Eric Brook. Of the holy trinity of Bell, Lee and Summberbee.

A city that also knows its football. Where its long suffering inhabitants have had to endure three and half decades without a trophy. But no more…

A CITY THAT IS HOME TO THE FA CUP WINNERS.

This is MY City. The City I live. The City I breath. The City I dream.

This is OUR City. Manchester City. Manchester’s City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.