Is Given the best backup keeper in the history of football?

DontLookBackInAnger said:
leighton said:
Freestyler said:
Could well be.

I don't blame him if he wants off, he want's first team football and he's too good to be sat on the bench.

Unfortunately for him, Hart came into good form and had the a stonking season at Brum.

£800,000 wasn't it?

feels like 18 million.

I think Shay knew half way through the season that his time here was up. When Joe went into his dodgy spell and Mancini stuck with him I think that was Shay pissed off big time. Not getting a run out in the Europa League when he was supposed to playing in those early games because Joe messed up and instead of dropping Joe he gave him the Europa game. I think that alone has got to Shay a bit. I wonder if Mancini has even let him know of his plans for next season if he will be given a chance to get some football or not.
Didn't Given get injured right in the middle of Hart's poor run in Jan and was out for all the knockout games in the Europa League?

No Shay was out injured late Febuary or early March if my memory is right.

Best backup keeper in the history of football goes to whoever is Arsenal's backup keeper at the moment, Almunia or Fabianski. World class keepers.

kidding

Cudicini is just as good + he doesn't whinge to the press about sitting on the bench.

Burtonblue said:
Cudicini is just as good + he doesn't whinge to the press about sitting on the bench.

Always had respect for Cudicini, IMO he is a top class goalkeeper. However, Shay is too. As previously mentioned "In the history of football" is a huge statement.

Currently? Yes
In the Premier league? Yes
All time? No, sorry

We had a fantastic season with joe in goal! Imagine wat we could have done had the better keeper been in goal! Joe is very good and may well go on to be better than Shay! But at the minute he's not as good let alone better!

For Shay's sake, Id like him to play in 1st team football in another team..
poor guy hasnt played competitive for what is now 12 months?

Paddy Roche at the Rags was great (for us) and his predecessor Jimmy Rimmer was also great (for them).

At one time England could choose from Shilton, Clemence, Corrigan and Rimmer. How times change.

Aussie! said:
For Shay's sake, Id like him to play in 1st team football in another team..
poor guy hasnt played competitive for what is now 12 months?
Unless you count the League Cup and the Europa League, yes you would be connect.<br /><br />-- Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:32 am --<br /><br />
Deepest Blue said:
Paddy Roche at the Rags was great (for us) and his predecessor Jimmy Rimmer was also great (for them).

At one time England could choose from Shilton, Clemence, Corrigan and Rimmer. How times change.
I might be wrong but I think at one point Shilton and Woods where in the England squad together while both at Notts F......

AntonDonJuan said:
Look at Spain's keepers

Casillas
Reina
Valdes
De Gea

then look at England's

Hart

I remember when we used to take great pride
in our English keepers and would scoff at Johnny
foriegners attemps between the sticks.....how times change

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.