1st City Maine Road Goal

MCFC 4 EVER

This might be one for Gary James. I'd like to know who was the first player for City to score at Maine Road in a league match.
Thanks

howiedeblue said:
peterctid said:
Horace Barnes.

city vs Sheff Utd,

Horace Barnes after 68 mins, Frank Roberts had the chance to score the first but his peno was saved

from the City vs Southampton prog for the last game
Thanks mate

Written a lot on this in the past (including the bit in the 2003 match prog). Full details, images and report in "Farewell To Maine Road."

The key details are:

Debuts - Alex Donaldson (for City, ex Sheff Utd) & George Green (Sheff U)

Sheff U's goalie Gough was injured after 30 mins and replaced by defender Pantling whose first action in nets was to save Frank Roberts' penalty. First penalty saved at Maine Rd (last pen at maine Rd was missed - Stuart Pearce V Beasant).

Half Time - goalless

First goal - 68 mins Horace Barnes; second goal was 'immediately afterwards' according to papers and was scored by Tommy Johnson.

First 'away' goal was scored by Sheff Utd's Harry Johnson 2 mins from time.

Attendance = 58,159 (often incorrectly recorded as 56,993 or 60,000, but definitely 58,159).

Date 25/08/23

Hope this helps.

I'm sure I read somewhere that George Robey, the 'Prime Minister of Mirth' ceremonially kicked off the first game at Maine Road....anybody know if this is true?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.