Strike on 30th June

Cheesy said:
BTH said:
bluemonday said:
Our kid asked me this question yesterday:

"Some of the teachers are on strike and will be picketing the gate. Other teachers are not on strike and the school has sent out a newsletter saying that the school is open as usual.
So am I a scab, letting my kids cross a picket to line to go to school? Or should I support the strikers and not let them go on the 30th?"

I suspect he won't send them, even the intimation of being a scab is something that abhors him. I'm the same, if the truth be known.

It's a serious question though. Over to you BTH.

It's a tough one to answer. They're his/her children, they could hardly be described as being "scabs" and no-one would begrudge a child their schooling should it be available.

However, and this is purely hypothetical, would it not be an idea for your kid to have a day off work and take their children to an art gallery and/or one of the several museums in Manchester or Salford or wherever they live on an educational visit, given the last Labour government made them free to enter?

It might be their last chance before Cameron's swingeing axe falls on these too, given that they are staffed by public sector workers.

It might be an idea to let your kids miss a day of their education for some ill thought out pricipals you may have.

But it would be a shit one.

I had no idea BM was home to so many capitalists, captains of industry, millionaires, old Etonians and landed gentry in general. My, I am in exalted company!

Cheesy said:
BTH said:
bluemonday said:
Our kid asked me this question yesterday:

"Some of the teachers are on strike and will be picketing the gate. Other teachers are not on strike and the school has sent out a newsletter saying that the school is open as usual.
So am I a scab, letting my kids cross a picket to line to go to school? Or should I support the strikers and not let them go on the 30th?"

I suspect he won't send them, even the intimation of being a scab is something that abhors him. I'm the same, if the truth be known.

It's a serious question though. Over to you BTH.

It's a tough one to answer. They're his/her children, they could hardly be described as being "scabs" and no-one would begrudge a child their schooling should it be available.

However, and this is purely hypothetical, would it not be an idea for your kid to have a day off work and take their children to an art gallery and/or one of the several museums in Manchester or Salford or wherever they live on an educational visit, given the last Labour government made them free to enter?

It might be their last chance before Cameron's swingeing axe falls on these too, given that they are staffed by public sector workers.

It might be an idea to let your kids miss a day of their education for some ill thought out pricipals you may have.

Or it could be a great life-lesson in standing up for what you believe in.

bluemonday said:
Cheesy said:
BTH said:

What you believe in is the key here. What do the kids believe in? Should they be indoctrinated into a way of thinking just because that's what their parents think? Or should they just be allowed to carry on with their schooling?

Cheesy said:
bluemonday said:
Cheesy said:

What you believe in is the key here. What do the kids believe in? Should they be indoctrinated into a way of thinking just because that's what their parents think? Or should they just be allowed to carry on with their schooling?

It's not about indoctrination. It's about principles. It's the same as dealing with bullies.
If you don't learn to stand up for yourself - then you're going to have a rough ride through life.

A life-lesson learnt this early has got to be more valuable than one day in school. It's something that's more likely to stay with you.

ernesto said:
tueartsboots said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
France are brilliant at it, its unbelievable
Greece is having a great go at defaulting itself into hell. Although from what i read the other day the people there are suffering big times and with more cuts to come they are in trouble
IMF is pushing the Greek government to actually tax people who earn a lot of money, novel idea !
they should try that over here

50% tax plus 7% NI not high then?

Can everyone note the following;

Public sector workers DESERVE a higher than average pension.

Public sector workers MUST retire earlier than the rest of us.

Public sector workers HAVE to have their precious 'flexi time'

They are among the most lazy, work-shy incompetent numb skulls this country have to offer and yet they have the neck to hold the rest of us to ransom and blame those nasty tories (NOT Tony and his cronies who let the bankers play Russian Roulette with our futures!)

Utterly, utterly thick, blind individuals who HATE to see people getting rich from hard work and risk taking.

I really hope Cameron steps up to the plate here and sacks the lot of them- ANYONE who strikes- lets see how they get on in the real world.

People in the private sector know what it's about.

brooklandsblue2.0 said:

They are among the most lazy, work-shy incompetent numb skulls this country have to offer and yet they have the neck to hold the rest of us to ransom and blame those nasty tories (NOT Tony and his cronies who let the bankers play Russian Roulette with our futures!)

Utterly, utterly thick, blind individuals who HATE to see people getting rich from hard work and risk taking.

I really hope Cameron steps up to the plate here and sacks the lot of them- ANYONE who strikes- lets see how they get on in the real world.

Good to see you're not generalising as only a halfwit would do that.

My brother and mother both work in the public sector and they both work longer hours than pretty much anyone I know in the private sector.

Just because the public sector (and pensions) need reforming doesn't mean that we can function as a civilised society without one.

As for the 'real world' what exactly is that? I bet you wouldn't survive five minutes in the industries I've worked in, especially as the first pre-requisite was engaging with people and having a personality.

Got a letter off the daughters school yesterday , year 9 and 10 have got a day off on Thursday.

As this strike is about paying more into their own pension, why couldn't they have had a protest march in their own time , they've got a 6 week holiday in 3 weeks time.

brooklandsblue2.0 said:

Great. Sack ALL the public sector people taking industrial action. Then notify any crackpot who wants to come into the UK that the borders are unmanned. Really pisses me off when people flap their gums about stuff they know nothing about.

Lucky13 said:
Got a letter off the daughters school yesterday , year 9 and 10 have got a day off on Thursday.

As this strike is about paying more into their own pension, why couldn't they have had a protest march in their own time , they've got a 6 week holiday in 3 weeks time.

Because no one would give a shit. Whereas the lovely teachers just want to disrupt and don't give a shit if it means you having to take time off work/spend money on childcare or just that your kids lose a days teaching.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.