Strike on 30th June

MCFCBen said:
Obviously this is a subjectional debate, pendant on which sector you work in and to a certain degree, your political persuasion.

I work in the public sector, in a call centre, which uses technology used in the private sector. We cannot "take it easy" as our performance is scrutinized on a daily basis.

To all those people who are unsympathetic about the flexible working patterns - at least these are in the contract. People in the private sector use it in underhand ways (sitting in vans, golf lol!)

Our department works on a shift basis and we have little access to flexitime.

The wages we receive are lower than that in the private sector and there are no OTE earnings, which I knew when I got the job. However, the "perk" better than average pension helped sway my decision to join the department.

I will be striking tomorrow as I believe that not only are the pension reforms wrong, but the way they have been suggested is wrong too.

The main issue between the posters on here seems to be whether there should be social responsibility. Should you live life for yourself or for the good of yourself and others around you?
Good post mate but you are pissing in the wind with the "me me me" mob on here.

tommyducks said:
MCFCBen said:
Obviously this is a subjectional debate, pendant on which sector you work in and to a certain degree, your political persuasion.

I work in the public sector, in a call centre, which uses technology used in the private sector. We cannot "take it easy" as our performance is scrutinized on a daily basis.

To all those people who are unsympathetic about the flexible working patterns - at least these are in the contract. People in the private sector use it in underhand ways (sitting in vans, golf lol!)

The wages we receive are lower than that in the private sector and there are no OTE earnings, which I knew when I got the job. However, the "perk" better than average pension helped sway my decision to join the department.

I will be striking tomorrow as I believe that not only are the pension reforms wrong, but the way they have been suggested is wrong too.

The main issue between the posters on here seems to be whether there should be social responsibility. Should you live life for yourself or for the good of yourself and others around you?
Good post mate but you are pissing in the wind with the "me me me" mob on here.

Me me me? Like - I want to pay less in to my pension pot and have the rest pick up the tab?

Now I understand.

Me me me? Like - I want to pay less in to my pension pot and have the rest pick up the tab?

Now I understand.[/quote]

What I was trying to say was lower wage + no OTE bonus + pension scheme = normal wage in private sector.

Lucky13 said:
MCFCBen said:
Lucky13 said:
Explain to me why you shouldn't pay more into your own pension , which will then cover the cost of it.

in effect we do by having a lower salary and no bonuses.

Completely avoids the question and thats why the public will never support you.

I think it was a straightforward answer. We get paid less now and get more later. This evens itself out against the private sector's higher salary and bonus schemes.

I think there is a common fallacy that everyone in the public sector is on wages that ministers earn. This is not the case and the vast majority earn less than £20k per annum.

I am not against having to pay more contributions, but these changes coupled with changing it to an average salary scheme and no pay rises for 3 years isn't right in my opinion.

You don't need to support us, that is your opinion, but it's sad that society no longer looks out for each other.

MCFCBen said:

This isn't a dig at you in anyway mate, but for me only PS workers who "give back" to society, nurses, firemen, teachers and the such should "enjoy" the final salary pensions, others that work in more "mainstream" type roles (such a call centre) should be paid a fair market wage but not get the final salary pensions. This is the root of the problem in my eyes, they handed out these pensions like confetti to all and sundry.

That said it ain't your fault they offered it to you (only a fool would say no to it) so I don't "blame" anybody for sticking up against having their contracts changed. Nobody, if they are honest, in the private sector would just shrug their shoulders to a "pay-cut" (which is what this really is)

And just for the potentially first use of the word subjectional on BM, I doff my hat to you.

MCFCBen said:
What I was trying to say was lower wage + no OTE bonus + pension scheme = normal wage in private sector.

I thought the strike was about teachers? The above doesn't really apply to them.

There's no reason for us to give generous pensions to public sector staff any longer.

What can they do if we cut their pensions to levels we'll receive ourselves?

They can hardly leave for other jobs with superb pensions. There aren't any.

With a very few exceptions they are stuck, defenceless and have mortgages and bills to pay.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.