I need advice on selling my house & how much can my ex get?

I went through all this at the start of the nineties with the first wife. You have had good advice on here.

Change locks, call her bluff, see a solicitor etc. Whatever happens you take care and you will come through it sooner than you think.

All the best mate.

For a start I'd avoid the Courts if you can.
I think she can force a sale on the house and I don't think you can change the locks by law if she owns the house too. (you could always pretend to have lost the keys though and use this as your excuse). I am only saying this because my friend is going through something similar and that is what her solicitor told her. Find as much proof as possible to show that you have paid the majority, receipts, bank statements etc as this will go in your favour if you do have to sell the house.

I had a sale forced on the house I lived in all my life. Different scenario than yours, mine was family related. But because they had ownership in it through my Dad leaving his share to his 'other' kids when he died my half brother and sister had rights to it, even though my Dad hadn't paid my Mum anything in years, and boy did they come hunting for their share!

As with anything to do with law it is a very complex area. I would get as much advice as you can. Solicitors cost a fortune as you probably already know and will milk as much money as they can out of you both, but this might be the route you have to take if you can't sort it out between yourselves:

These websites might help on advice for splitting up unmarried/divorced:

<a class="postlink" href="http://divorce.moneymadeclear.org.uk/splitting-what-you-have/unmarried-couples/property.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://divorce.moneymadeclear.org.uk/sp ... perty.html</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.advicenow.org.uk/living-together/breaking-up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.advicenow.org.uk/living-toge ... eaking-up/</a>

Good luck.

It doesn't matter how long you have been together,she doesn't have to have paid anything towards anything, as long as it's a joint mortgage and her name is on the title deeds held with the land registry she is entitled to 50% of the value of the property after any outstanding money that is owed on the house is paid off.

At best you can make her an offer but you will have to get the agreement drawn up by independant solicitors but hers will advise her of her true entitlement.

Just going thro' all this shit myself with my ex who f***ked off 4 yrs. ago and was given this info after going to see a solictor, and all she had ever bought was the food each week.
Hope this helps and Good Luck with it.

Ron

rons got the blues said:
It doesn't matter how long you have been together,she doesn't have to have paid anything towards anything, as long as it's a joint mortgage and her name is on the title deeds held with the land registry she is entitled to 50% of the value of the property after any outstanding money that is owed on the house is paid off.

At best you can make her an offer but you will have to get the agreement drawn up by independant solicitors but hers will advise her of her true entitlement.

Just going thro' all this shit myself with my ex who f***ked off 4 yrs. ago and was given this info after going to see a solictor, and all she had ever bought was the food each week.
Hope this helps and Good Luck with it.

Ron

That's not strictly true, it depends on the circumstances. In my circumstances, I had put 28% of the deposit and she had put in 72%. She never moved in, and I solely paid the mortgage and the upkeep of the property for over 3 years. We were joint tenants, but the solicitors I spoke too, suggested it would be really difficult for me to get 50% of the proceeds, saying that they were dumb fucks. Reading your post above worries me I have done myself out of money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.