Do we have too many goals in us to be stopped?

Pam said:
I can't see our goal tally drying up significantly any time soon. We have too many players that can turn a game. This will win us the title because we will outscore all the twats. Discuss.

Its about now when opposing managers have seen all the teams play a fair few games and start formulating plans based on percieved weaknesses plans to try and stop them. So far things have worked well but we are likely to have a few poor results as teams adopt tactics

nope as soon as someone manages to stop us scoring the rest will try to copy it.Its the same thing that teams are doing to barca on a regular basis in la liga

new ross blue said:
nope as soon as someone manages to stop us scoring the rest will try to copy it.Its the same thing that teams are doing to barca on a regular basis in la liga

Not really working out for them though, is it? They've scored even more than we have this season (though only by a goal or two).

Mancini will be and should be furious that we let in two goals today (though probably not as furious if that had been Komps and Lescott at the back). If you don't concede you can't lose, a basic and solid principle. The same one that got us third and the FA Cup last season. We can't rely on outscoring the opposition all the time. Strikers will have droughts, midfield will have off days and limit supply, teams will pack the box and throw all and sundry in front of incoming balls. In the season Chelsea scored 103 goals, nearly 20 more than United, and they only conceded 4 more goals over the entire season. They won the title by a single solitary point, despite having a goal difference of 71 to Uniteds 58. Obviously the goal difference counted for another point as if they had ended up level points Chelsea still would have won, but I think it highlights the margin for error. I know if my auntie had balls etc, but if United had scored 1 more goal in any one of their draws, that record breaking goal tally of Chelsea's would have counted for precisely sod all.

They had a lot of goals in them that season. They still lost 6 times and drew 5. Contrast with Arsenals 'Invincibles' season of 03/04, they scored 73 goals, paltry in comparison. But they conceded 26 and never lost. Won the league by 11 points. That's the sort of season Bobby wants.

We're scoring a lot of goals, and look in great shape.

We play Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal in our next five league games so I think we'll have a better idea after those matches. Our start to the season has been unbelievable, but it has been relatively easy.

That said you can only beat what's in front of you, and we've come out of our two big challenges (Spurs and United away) with flying colours.

Pam said:
I can't see our goal tally drying up significantly any time soon. We have too many players that can turn a game. This will win us the title because we will outscore all the twats. Discuss.

Arsenal scored 36 goals in the 1st 11 games last season (a new PL record before we overtook it today) and ended up finishing 4th

Statt0 said:
Pam said:

Arsenal scored 36 goals in the 1st 11 games last season (a new PL record before we overtook it today) and ended up finishing 4th

Arsenal did not have the team we have.

Bazzmand Show said:
Statt0 said:
Pam said:

True, but the OP is getting a bit giddy (dare I say arrogant) suggesting we can't be stopped. It's a cliche, but titles are nevr won in November. We've still got a long way to go.

I have to say, I don't think it's a problem when a team put's 10/11 men behind the ball. Everton did it and we made quite a few chances. I think with the quality we have we will be able to break these defences down eventually, just look at how many more goals we score in the second half. I think the problems will come in games like today, when the smaller teams press ALL over the pitch and give us very little time on the ball, we struggled today and only won because we took our chances very well. In other games as we know too well, we won't take them chances and will come out frustrated. Away to Norwich, Newcastle, Everton, Swansea and others will be very tricky on smaller pitches with the crowd behind them. I for one would be very happy to watch us go and get 60-70% possession as the opposition say "Break us down", today was much more difficult than any of them games will be and I'm chuffed with the 3 points, especially as we only had 48% of the ball.

Bazzmand Show said:
Statt0 said:
Pam said:

True. The stat is wrong anyway - I meant season before last and they finsihed 3rd.

Statt0 said:
Pam said:

Didn't happen to coincide with an injury to a certain Cesc Fabregas did it? We think Silva is important to us, but that team were truly lost without him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.